Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

v2014 better viewport?

3DWorld back in June said "3ds Max has a better real-time viewport" than Maya, when talking about the previous versions. Comparing the 2014 versions of 3DS Max and Maya, does 3DS Max still have the edge over Maya in this department? I have a GTX 690 that would like to know.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

GTX 690 is a waste, that second GPU is not in use by the program, it would have speeds less than a GTX 680

I'm not sure how the Maya and 3ds Max viewports compare though. I do know the Max viewport is pretty buggy

Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
GTX 690 is a waste, that second GPU is not in use by the program, it would have speeds less than a GTX 680

I'm not sure how the Maya and 3ds Max viewports compare though. I do know the Max viewport is pretty buggy
Thanks, didn't know that about the second GPU. Is Maya the same for not using a second GPU, do you know? Also, does the second GPU get used at all if either 3DSMax or Maya is split between two monitors?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

It won't use it at all because the GTX 690 counts as basically two graphics cards in SLI, neither program supports SLI, the second GPU on the card will be doing nothing. You can use both GPU's for GPU renderers like iRay or VrayRT, but not for the actual program viewport.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
It won't use it at all because the GTX 690 counts as basically two graphics cards in SLI, neither program supports SLI, the second GPU on the card will be doing nothing. You can use both GPU's for GPU renderers like iRay or VrayRT, but not for the actual program viewport.
Thanks. There's also a Maya renderer (soon to be for Max also) called Furryball you may have heard about which renders with the GPUs.

I steered this off track. I'll ask about viewport comparison also in the Maya subforum.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
davius
Positive electron

portfolio
David Almeida
Part-time dreamer
Maceió, Brazil

Actually I've not found Max viewport buggy at all. Didn't touch 2014 yet so the issues might apply to that specific version only.

That said, Max's viewport is pretty good and its performance saw nothing but increase in the recent releases. Working with PFlow became fun again in 2013.

Do I think the performance is good enough? Nope! I see it can improve even further in several areas, but nitrous is pretty useful, specially in some MoGraph we recently did.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by davius
Actually I've not found Max viewport buggy at all. Didn't touch 2014 yet so the issues might apply to that specific version only.

That said, Max's viewport is pretty good and its performance saw nothing but increase in the recent releases. Working with PFlow became fun again in 2013.

Do I think the performance is good enough? Nope! I see it can improve even further in several areas, but nitrous is pretty useful, specially in some MoGraph we recently did.

Max2014 version of Nitrous is far better than any version before. I don't agree with darthviper107's statement that Nitrous would be pretty buggy. It was in the intial release on Max 2012, but has matured quite a bit . There are still areas where some things to not display as expected, but for general use it's a blast ...
The Maya viewport 2.0 has still more limiting in terms of doing real work in the viewport, but that has improved too a lot with Maya 2014. What they do have though, is nice access to the advanced feature tweaking like DOF, MBlur ( which Max 2014 still does'nt have ) etc... . But other than that i think Nitrous in Max is better fitting to get real work done, than Viewport 2.0 in Maya 2014 is...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
kees
www.lumonix.net

portfolio
Kees Rijnen
Software Developer
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefrog
But other than that i think Nitrous in Max is better fitting to get real work done, than Viewport 2.0 in Maya 2014 is...

Why is that?
(Not saying it is or isn't true, but would like to know why you feel it is a better fit)

Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees
Why is that?
(Not saying it is or isn't true, but would like to know why you feel it is a better fit)

Hehe - to be honest this impression is part based on past versions , and part based on the fact that i feel at home in Max and everything in Maya sooner or later raises the urge in me to switch back to Max...So this might all fall down to the fact that i know my shortcuts for Nitrous/Max viewport, i know the quirks and bottlenecks and the workarounds better in Max...

I better should have written about that in my post above, i guess;-)

Kees: are there still any basic features in Viewport 2.0 ( helper display, gizmos etc... ) that are not supported in the Maya 2014 VP2.0 version ? I know that in past versions some basic things where not supported in viewport 2.0., has this all been implemented and fixed in Maya 2014 ?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

As far as being buggy, here's all the issues I have (on various machines at different times)

-being able to select an edge in the perspective view depends on how close you are to it, a lot of times you have to zoom out to be able to select an edge.
-edges become less visible as they become parallel to the perspective view
-lights stop working the viewport
-incorrect shading and artifacts
-shaded with edges won't show edges
-shaded shows mesh inverted in some viewports
-shaded shows mesh inverted one half of the model in some viewports
-in front viewport the mesh looks like it's rotated, but it's not, looks correct from other views
-everything just stops being visible, including things like the grid. It's all there but the viewport shows nothing.

Some issues have been there since they first added Nitrous, all of them are issues I've had with Max 2014.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
-incorrect shading and artifacts
This guy reports banding.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Shadi...ng/td-p/4301933

Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

I've found the viewport to be really good in Max 2014. Much faster than previous versions, ESPECIALLY compared to Cinema 4D.

The only issue I repeatedly see happen is sometimes in realistic mode all the lights turn off and the mesh is all black. Maybe because I'm using Vray lights?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokan

don't understand what they are talking about - the strange lines in the snow on the right ? This is hardly banding in the common sense, but are shadow artefacts (probably viewport only) of his cylinder light's shadow map (at 8192 resolution ) .
There are several ways to fix it, including not using wrong legacy techniques like shadow maps with high sampling range on the sun light which comes in on a flat angle?

This is no viewport issue but a problem of wrongly used techniques...

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
J-Bond
Frequenter
portfolio
Igor
Russia

Would be good if Autodesk will speedup or remove not necessary GUI redraw that very often occur.
When track view opened and I try to move\release it - Main Toolbar and Command Panel visibly redraws.
Open Pflow view - move mouse over depot - for some reason description flickering while i do this. Moving Pflow operators again MT&CP start to redraw.Focus\Unfocus from veiwport to float window again MT&CP redraw. etc.
It seems that many actions force whole GUI to full redraw that starting to annoy after some time because it is not immediate and can be easy catched by eyes.

I never see this kindof problems in other applications.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

I haven't yet used either Max or Maya 2014. To refocus here a bit, which one has realtime display qualities that are closest to a final render.

Thread Closed share thread