If i replace MR with vRay will I have to learn 3ds max again?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
If i replace MR with vRay will I have to learn 3ds max again?

Hi !! I was doing a web research and I found that whatever I learned in 3ds max so far is only available for mental ray renderer... materials, lighting, sun settings, everything except modelling is different if I choose vRay. At least that's what I see in most tutorials.. Problem is I already got used with arch & design, raytrace, environment settings, global illumination, final gather, and so on.. I know mostly how to set the materials to gain acceptable results. I've been struggling to learn about all these and how they work for months.
The reason I want to change mr with vray is that most of the resources on the web like .max premade scenes, plugins, materials, things that I found for great help are not compatible with v ray...I suppose my 3ds objects collection will work with vray, but what do you think? Will it be easy to migrate from MR to vRay ? Will I have to learn absolutely everything again?

Last edited by mlegs : 09 September 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
It sounds like you need to spend more time with the program rather than messing with plugins, try to properly learn how to create things before looking for shortcuts, you can waste a lot of time with extra stuff and get nowhere.

In case you still want to switch to Vray, you will have to remake your materials, but the settings are pretty much the same, since both the Vray material and the MR Arch and Design material is based off physical settings. I believe there's also a tool that can convert between the two. Vray has different render settings though it's not as complicated as MR. Lights would also have to be replaced with Vray lights.
Also, as far as the presets that MR has, Vray doesn't have any material presets, so the library of materials are not compatible.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Thank you
Yes, I am conscious that I will have to learn the program very well, but it is easier for me to have already made scenes, from people who have more experience than me, as models, and to see how they work.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Originally Posted by mlegs: Thank you
Yes, I am conscious that I will have to learn the program very well, but it is easier for me to have already made scenes, from people who have more experience than me, as models, and to see how they work.

The best way to see how the models work is to get in there and build them yourself. Start off simple: create a model>UV it>texture it>light the scene>render it.
You will gain a greater degree of knowledge by 'learning by doing'. That way you will encounter many problems which you have to solve yourself, which ultimately will improve your understanding of the software, and 3D workflows in general.

As mentioned above, MR/Vray are essentially the same beast. The knowledge is transferable. So instead concentrate learning what you have in front of you before looking to greener pastures. Alot of us started off using Max's native scanline renderer; then picked up MR when it was bundled with Max; and then onto Vray. Myself, I only switched from MR to Vray about a year ago and found the transition relatively painless as I was already familiar with the fundamental theories of MR's physical materials and lighting processes.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
If you know MR well, it won't be too hard at all. I just did this during the last year, and it was certainly a lot of work, but not difficult. I'm finding I like Vray much better too, so I'm glad I did. I spent about a month reading the entire help file, then another month doing tutorials, then a few months doing my own project, and now I would say I'm in a good place with it. I think it would have taken much longer if I never learned Mental Ray, or a physically based workflow first.

Learning and re-learning will always be a part of this field, so don't be too afraid of it

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Vray and MR both are great rendering engine but now Vray is ahead than MR and I guess MR is not upgraded last 2 years. I was a MR user and slowly I have converted myself to Vray and it is pretty easier process. If you practice well it will takes hardly 1 week to know Vray though you already know MR. Vray is really good and easy. There are lot of tutorials which will help you a lot. MR A&D and Vray Power Shader are almost same. Vray lights are better than MR lights IMHO and render settings is easier than MR.

Go through this link, you will get detailed info about Vray.
http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/150SP1/index.htm

Last edited by neil09 : 09 September 2013 at 05:56 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
You can usually find a solution in mr for any tutorials that are for Vray. Same as watching Maya tutorials and applying it to Max. In a way it's good because it forces you to figure things out.

For me, the switch from mental ray came because I wanted to use certain plugins that weren't available in mr. It was a reluctant move (and an expensive one!) but I'm happy with the choice.

@Decency - weren't you enrolled on the cgworkshop, not seen you about? Week 7 mate.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
Ah, fun thread.

Since I work for Autodesk now, I'm actually allowed to say things like "vRay is actually a great rendering engine", which is a relief for me

Anyhow - do you need to "re-learn max"? I would say no.

Especially if you used mental ray "properly", meaning with physically plausible materials (basically Arch&Design), physically plausible lights (basically Photometric area lights), physically plausible cameras (i.e. "photographic exposure control"), and proper linear workflow (gamma correction on), converting over to vRay should be fairly easy.

Light is light. They both simulate it. If you have worked with light as actual (physical) light in mr, it will behave very much the same in vRay.

Some things you need to unlearn (specific FG settings trickery), some things you need to re-learn (e.g. how to apply a spherical environment map for lighting), but most things are "very siuilar".

Many people have taken what I teach in my fxphd.com course "mry201", and applied the knowledge to vRay. Why? Because I talk just as much about how LIGHT and CAMERAS and MATERIALS work, as how you actually do that in mr. You can just as well do that in vRay.

Hope this helps?

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 09 September 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Originally Posted by MasterZap:

Many people have taken what I teach in my fxphd.com course "mry201", and applied the knowledge to vRay. Why? Because I talk just as much about how LIGHT and CAMERAS and MATERIALS work, as how you actually do that in mr. You can just as well do that in vRay.

/Z

That would be me Your course was an excellent excercise in stress-relief!!

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Originally Posted by MasterZap: Ah, fun thread.

Since I work for Autodesk now, I'm actually allowed to say things like "vRay is actually a great rendering engine", which is a relief for me

/Z

So in your opinion is one render engine better than the other?

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Originally Posted by MisterS: So in your opinion is one render engine better than the other?

I love all my children equally

/Z

Old 09 September 2013   #12
Hehe good answer!

Old 09 September 2013   #13
Originally Posted by MasterZap: I love all my children equally

/Z

And we would love you all the more if you jumped ship and followed the rest of us to the delightful world of Vray.....

Old 09 September 2013   #14
ah interresting Masterzap

you have time for VRay? I had hope your job is better integrate mental ray in 3dsmax. It give many to do for you. The Vray GUI write Chaos Group, look and learn from Chaos Group!

mfg
hot chip

Old 09 September 2013   #15
The only fool left developing for Mental Ray will be you Thorsten .

Thread Closed share thread