how does the topolgy look ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08 August 2013   #16
Hey AJ!

You're absolutely right in your statements, it's best to start with a primitive with some resemblance of the final shape, specially in the case of limbs. I guess I just made a nomenclature confusion in my head - for me, box modeling is anything that starts with a volumetric primitive, be it a box, a cylinder or even a sphere. So there would also be planar modeling with edge extrusion (which should start with a planar primitive), line or spline modeling with a surface modifier (one of the hardest to master IMO), and finally sculpt modeling+retopo.

By no means take me as more experienced than you in any way! There's always new things to learn and that's why I frequent this forum :-)

Cheers!
__________________
didali
 
Old 08 August 2013   #17
heres the one im making with graphite modeling . i would like your opinion before i go ahead with it . (ignore the red edges as they wont deform)
 
Old 08 August 2013   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by davius
Hey AJ!

You're absolutely right in your statements, it's best to start with a primitive with some resemblance of the final shape, specially in the case of limbs. I guess I just made a nomenclature confusion in my head - for me, box modeling is anything that starts with a volumetric primitive, be it a box, a cylinder or even a sphere. So there would also be planar modeling with edge extrusion (which should start with a planar primitive), line or spline modeling with a surface modifier (one of the hardest to master IMO), and finally sculpt modeling+retopo.

By no means take me as more experienced than you in any way! There's always new things to learn and that's why I frequent this forum :-)

Cheers!


Thanks Davius, you're a good guy and I've always appreciated your posts.
 
Old 08 August 2013   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralimazing
heres the one im making with graphite modeling . i would like your opinion before i go ahead with it . (ignore the red edges as they wont deform)


Hey Dralimazing, I have some tight deadlines today but I'll take a loot in the afternoon tomorrow. Thanks for your understanding.
 
Old 08 August 2013   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffus3d
Hey Dralimazing, I have some tight deadlines today but I'll take a loot in the afternoon tomorrow. Thanks for your understanding.


no prob
whenever possible check this one out too

Last edited by Dralimazing : 08 August 2013 at 09:24 AM.
 
Old 08 August 2013   #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davius
Hey AJ!

You're absolutely right in your statements, it's best to start with a primitive with some resemblance of the final shape, specially in the case of limbs. I guess I just made a nomenclature confusion in my head - for me, box modeling is anything that starts with a volumetric primitive, be it a box, a cylinder or even a sphere. So there would also be planar modeling with edge extrusion (which should start with a planar primitive), line or spline modeling with a surface modifier (one of the hardest to master IMO), and finally sculpt modeling+retopo.


I agree that you should start with a primitive that has a similar form to what you're trying to model, if you're used to starting our with a primitive. For me though, when I'm making a character, I start with an empty object. I've found it a lot easier to start in areas that require denser topology, and flow the edge loops out from there. For the arms, I start with the tips of the fingers to the hand, to the wrist, and the work my way to the shoulder. The same with the head, I start with creating edge loops from the eyes, ears and mouth. This way, you don't have to worry about joining different vertex counts, and you can greatly reduce the amount of tris and ngons, and you have nice edge loops for rigging.

Last edited by Ian31R : 08 August 2013 at 01:54 PM.
 
Old 08 August 2013   #23
There is a great video from Blender Cookies wich relates to all polygon based modelling packages. I implemented this topology in my projects, it works very well.

 
Old 08 August 2013   #24
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.