UI: Viewport grid color/intensity won't stick

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 08 August 2013   #1
UI: Viewport grid color/intensity won't stick

Max 2014...

I've had this happen with every max version until now but it was ok once the default UI color file was overwritten... This time, whatever I do, grid intensity will revert to 158 on a fresh max start.

Does anyone else see this and have a solution? This is soooo annoying...

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Never mind, solved...

Old 08 August 2013   #3
I actually struggled with this for a long time. So i think it is worth to at least leave a solution here in case someone is in the same situation. The solution is to always run 3ds Max as an administrator, even if you use full permission account. Previous versions of 3ds Max did not require it, but 2014 does.

Best way is to set always run as administrator in application compatibility settings.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Rawalanche: I actually struggled with this for a long time. So i think it is worth to at least leave a solution here in case someone is in the same situation. The solution is to always run 3ds Max as an administrator, even if you use full permission account. Previous versions of 3ds Max did not require it, but 2014 does.

Best way is to set always run as administrator in application compatibility settings.

That does not prevent the problem showing it's awefull head as soon as you change some color settings. I run as full ( "real" administrator, the built in one ), but still the problem appears as soon as you touch the color settings and save ( automatically on exit )
I got used to edit the *.clrx file by hand after that, simply changing the grid color setting to my prefered values ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Originally Posted by spacefrog: That does not prevent the problem showing it's awefull head as soon as you change some color settings. I run as full ( "real" administrator, the built in one ), but still the problem appears as soon as you touch the color settings and save ( automatically on exit )
I got used to edit the *.clrx file by hand after that, simply changing the grid color setting to my prefered values ...

Yes, true, but if you do not run program as admin, then you will never get you grid color, even if you do not save the file on exit... It will just never work. When running as admin, you at least get your color out of the color config file as long as you do not change it.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Originally Posted by pokoy: Never mind, solved...

How you didi it?

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Ok, my solution was to set privileges of the 3ds max root directory to full access for everyone (my main User account was ok in this case, but it's the only user profile on this machine) It's something I always did for any max version but forgot to do this time.

I also had to run max with admin privileges in the past but didn't have to do so since 2012 I think.

Isn't it crazy that you can't set colors of your UI reliably without having to mess around with OS install folders, especially since UI files are saved in the user account folders?

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Originally Posted by pokoy: especially since UI files are saved in the user account folders?

You can set "useUserProfiles=0" in "Installsettings.ini" to prevent that

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Originally Posted by spacefrog: You can set "useUserProfiles=0" in "Installsettings.ini" to prevent that

Great tip, thanks.

But what I meant is: why do you have to set access privileges to the app install folder when it's saving/reading the UI files from the user folder?
I imagine this is a pain in a studio where users have limited access/privileges and need to call the IT guy to help them out, only because they need to change the viewport grid color.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Originally Posted by pokoy: Great tip, thanks.

But what I meant is: why do you have to set access privileges to the app install folder when it's saving/reading the UI files from the user folder?
I imagine this is a pain in a studio where users have limited access/privileges and need to call the IT guy to help them out, only because they need to change the viewport grid color.

I cannot comment on that administrative right issue , as i did'nt know about such a problem in the first place. But if thats indeed the case it might simply be some wrong user rights getting applied during installation or similar... But thats just guesswork of course ...

It might even have just something to do with UAC (User Access Control) settings which don't play nice with Max...

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Short update...

My 'trick' didn't work on my co-worker's PC so it's probably not working for everyone. Will try the other suggestions.

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Struggling with the same issue on another machine.

Does anybody know how to make the grid intensity settings stick?

Old 03 March 2014   #13
Just to follow up on this, here's a solution, finally found a way:

locate and open "MaxStartUI.clrx" in

Users > Your User Profile Name > Local > Autodesk > 3dsMax > 2014 - 64bit > ENU > en-US > UI

Add the following line at the end between the </CustomColors> tag and the </ADSK_CLR> tag (may work if it's somewhere else, didn't test):

<GridInfo gridIntensity="75" whiteOrigin="0" useGridColor="0" />

75 is my value, set it to whatever you want it to be. Now save and close. This will make it stick, finally.

The problem is that max will overwrite the customized value with the standard one once you change any of the color settings, it'll just replace it with the standard value when you exit max. So this will stick UNTIL you change colors and max overwrites the MaxStartUI.clrx file.
After you make any changes, you'll need to alter the line manually again.

Old 03 March 2014   #14
Originally Posted by pokoy: Just to follow up on this, here's a solution, finally found a way:

locate and open "MaxStartUI.clrx" in

Users > Your User Profile Name > Local > Autodesk > 3dsMax > 2014 - 64bit > ENU > en-US > UI

Add the following line at the end between the </CustomColors> tag and the </ADSK_CLR> tag (may work if it's somewhere else, didn't test):

<GridInfo gridIntensity="75" whiteOrigin="0" useGridColor="0" />

75 is my value, set it to whatever you want it to be. Now save and close. This will make it stick, finally.

The problem is that max will overwrite the customized value with the standard one once you change any of the color settings, it'll just replace it with the standard value when you exit max. So this will stick UNTIL you change colors and max overwrites the MaxStartUI.clrx file.
After you make any changes, you'll need to alter the line manually again.

hehe - i do exactly the same whenever i got hit by this silly bug...

Old 03 March 2014   #15
Originally Posted by spacefrog: hehe - i do exactly the same whenever i got hit by this silly bug...

Josef, so why didn't you tell me?! Hit the wall on this one since max 2013 and now you say always knew? Not fair

reply share thread