3DS Max 2014 extension

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
These additions are welcome, but they don't fill any holes, do they? We figured out how to use meshlab and Krakatoa for loading point clouds, so this doesn't bring any missing functionality.

Python has potential, but it's sounds like it will be more limited than maxscript for now. I'm not sure if it brings anything beyond opening the door to those who know python already and don't want to learn maxscript. I don't mean to discount the effect that could have, but it's just potential at this point... right? I feel like I might be missing something here though.

The stereo viewport thing sounds nice for those few who have supported AMD cards, but there are already lots of tools for stereoscopic rendering in max.

If they make these tasks easier/more smooth, then I guess it's something.

Old 08 August 2013   #17
Well, I'm actually really excited they FINALLY added quad buffered stereo in the viewport. Maya has had it forever, I didn't think they would ever add it to Max. I will actually use that a lot.

EDIT: Wait a minute...The active shutter thing only supports AMD cards? It won't work with Quadro cards and Nvidia 3D Vision? Please tell me that's not true.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: Well, I'm actually really excited they FINALLY added quad buffered stereo in the viewport. Maya has had it forever, I didn't think they would ever add it to Max. I will actually use that a lot.

EDIT: Wait a minute...The active shutter thing only supports AMD cards? It won't work with Quadro cards and Nvidia 3D Vision? Please tell me that's not true.

That's... horrible. We get physx by Nvidia for those cards, and we need a 2nd AMD card for this? Can't be true. Would make literally no sense.

Old 08 August 2013   #19
Python support will be cool as long as it gets the love it deserves, Point Cloud well I have had that since 2006 with Krakatoa but hey might be useful, Stereo Cam hey wow that could be really cool except... I can't wait to have my fully supported Quadro AND a AMD FireGL in the same machine! Hey that won't at all be stupid, cause all kinds of system instability, decreased performance, and general clusterMuckery.

AMD really who makes these decisions? How about a platform independent for once, geezus.

Old 08 August 2013   #20
Has this actually been confirmed though, rather than it just being a badly worded press release, and nvidia works anyway?

(Bear in mind that they had the same graphic for Maya as for Max which promised new animation tools for the Max extension)

If it is the case, and they're holding it back for some reason - they haven't learnt a single thing from last year's extensions fiasco.

Old 08 August 2013   #21
I asked about it on fb and the answer was that it'll work with NVIDIA cards, only utilizing a 3d display (a monitor) is limited to a FireGL. Didn't ask about shutter glasses or similar stuff though, lol.

Q: Does it only support AMD cards or will it work with NVIDIA cards as well and only deliver the 3d display output with AMD cards?

A: The active 3D display works only with AMD but seeing stereoscopic viewports works with other cards.

Old 08 August 2013   #22
I don't know how to respond to that - maybe the person on the fb page isn't familiar with Max enough, or they've restricted it to AMD for active shutter for reasons unknown.

I guess you guys will find out for sure next month.

Old 08 August 2013   #23
It is not just in the press release but here too at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Pr__-fG_A

Not like I even have a supported monitor but still, like I said platform independence would be nice. As I have read Quadro does Quad buffered stereo too, so basically WTF?

Old 08 August 2013   #24
I'd love to hear the justification for favouring one over the other.

Old 08 August 2013   #25
Originally Posted by Steve Green: I'd love to hear the justification for favouring one over the other.

Most likely AMD payed more than nvidia this year.

Old 08 August 2013   #26
My bet is someone at AMD was working on it and sold it over. Minor development doesn't really seem to be what the max team does. They only seem to work on bigger stuff all-hands-on-deck then well, frankly speaking, leave one poor bastard to finish up everything that was missed on the initial release, while the large sum of the team starts over on the next big thing. I am guessing that is the development model they use.

From the outside looking in anyway, this is the pattern I have seen develop over the years.

Old 08 August 2013   #27
Ah, the use of the term agile referring to some kind of coding musical chairs and one poor sould left to clean up the mess then?

Old 08 August 2013   #28
Not sure what they are using but that terminology sounds vaguely familiar. I am pretty sure gone are the days of sole development, when you had many small teams or even single devs working on only given specific aspects of the application, refining and polishing the systems and subsystems.

Old 08 August 2013   #30
I've heard it mentioned a couple of times from Autodesk sources.

The end result is more important to me, and, I imagine, most users.

I've heard enough rumblings in that Max thread, Max Project Managers coming back, then moving on after 6 months, let alone the actual delivered product to make me pessimistic.

Thread Closed share thread