Anime in 3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Question Anime in 3D

I'm currently trying something with 3d anime in combination with cell shading techniques in 3ds Max but I'm not sure what the best way is to create the eyes.

I've looked through many topics around here but haven't found anything recent that would be helpful.

I've seen the movie 009 Re:Cyborg which uses 3ds Max to animate the characters and most other 3d elements and I've found an interview of how they've created the animation. There are a few images showing the head of a character with topology that suggests the eye is simply part of the head and has a separate Mat ID for the white eye. But the eye is neither spherical nor flat so I don't know how the iris can move over the eye without distorting or showing space between the iris and eye. Using a sphere doesn't work because it sticks out of the head.

Here's the original page with images. (It's Japanese but it doesn't explain much)
http://cgworld.jp/feature/interview...recyborg-3.html

The next page has YouTube videos which show a previz scene with the character and the iris looks like it's mapped to the eye, not a separate mesh.

So I wonder if there is a way to somehow animate the iris on such a surface without distortion. This has to work with the cell shading method and that's why I don't get it right if I follow other solutions that I know off.

I hope I made myself clear and if not, please mention that so I can hopefully explain it a bit better. I'm not currently in the position to show screenshots or renders but I will later on if that's helpful.

08 August 2013
they most probably animate the mapping

08 August 2013
Tricky issue! Maybe that topology we're seeing in the wireframe of the images is not the eye itself, but a static and/or transparency-mapped part of the head mesh. For easy texture manipulation etc the "real" eye-geo might have animated textures on it and be behind or even in front that part of the head mesh, so the lids can easily be made to pass over it. It's definitely texturing, not geo, that's at least what I would assume from the vids. Whether they are animating the UV's or the textures...., no idea?!?!?

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 08 August 2013 at 12:55 PM.

08 August 2013
I'm pretty sure they're just animating the mapping.

Basically you just need to create the eye white part of the eye, and get that fitted to the eyelids and socket in a way that works for all the geometry during animation.

Then you unwrap the eye object, and center up your eye texture on it.

Create a controller which will move the center of the UV coordinates around the surface of the eye geometry object. That way you're just animating the placement of the texture, and as long as the eyeball surface is nice and smooth (and the quads making it up are all very close to the same size), it will work fine. I believe that's why you don't see the traditional radial shape with a dense point in the middle, if you did that and tried to animate the texture over the surface, you're going to end up with really ugly artifacts as you'll be dealing with a whole bunch of triangular and stretched polys. With quads, you can smooth it down and the polys maintain their shape and coverage.

Hope that makes sense!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by ZephyrStar: I'm pretty sure they're just animating the mapping.

Basically you just need to create the eye white part of the eye, and get that fitted to the eyelids and socket in a way that works for all the geometry during animation.

Then you unwrap the eye object, and center up your eye texture on it.

Create a controller which will move the center of the UV coordinates around the surface of the eye geometry object. That way you're just animating the placement of the texture, and as long as the eyeball surface is nice and smooth (and the quads making it up are all very close to the same size), it will work fine. I believe that's why you don't see the traditional radial shape with a dense point in the middle, if you did that and tried to animate the texture over the surface, you're going to end up with really ugly artifacts as you'll be dealing with a whole bunch of triangular and stretched polys. With quads, you can smooth it down and the polys maintain their shape and coverage.

Hope that makes sense!

Ah, yes, now it makes sense. I still got some work before I can properly utilize this method but it makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

08 August 2013
And for shading in 009 Re:Cyborg was used plugin Pencil+ http://www.psoft.co.jp/en/product/pencil/

08 August 2013
That's the plugin I plan to use. I very much like it and you can get some very convincing results, if used right like with the face.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread