Change the UV Map Channel for each instance of a Bitmap Map

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Arrow Change the UV Map Channel for each instance of a Bitmap Map

Greetings!

Is there a way to use bitmap instances in the Material Editor, but to still be able to change the UV Map Channel for each instance?

Ive got 3 different UV-Map modifiers with 3 different UV Map Channels applied to my object and each Map Channel needs the same bitmap. Everything works as it should, but i am using the exact same copy of my bitmap for every Map Channel. Therefore, the exact same bitmap is saved multiple times in the memory.

As my bitmap is very memory intensive , i would like to just use instances of my bitmap. Of course it is simple to do instances of bitmaps, but in this case i also need to change the Map Channel of every instance.

So my question is:
Is there a way to do this? Is there some sort of a "Change Map Channel Node" in the Material Editor which takes a Bitmap Map for the input and then only changes the Map Channel index and outputs the exact same bitmap?

Would that even work the way i imagine or would this take the same amount of memory as the simple copying of bitmaps in the Material Editor?

07 July 2013
Unfortunately no way to do as the input and coordinates are always going together. In an ideal world they would be split.

Regardless of this, max will load the bitmap only once, so it isn't going to waste memory if it really is the same map (after all, it's only one link in the asset manager, so it really is loaded only once).

07 July 2013
Thanks for answering pokoy.

Yeah, i was expecting that there is no way to use different UV Channels for the same bitmap. An extra uvw coordinates node would be quite useful.
It seems, there is demand for such a feature.
There is a Feature Request that suggests something like this and soulburn describes the idea a little bit more on his website.
Who knows, maybe voting would increase the chance to bring such a node to 3ds Max.

But its good to hear that max is loading the bitmap only once.

07 July 2013
Neil has suggested some super useful changes/additions since years already and afaik none of them were ever implemented, unfortunately.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread