Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

MAX2014 Error on Startup

I am getting the attached error when starting MAX2014. After I dismiss this error dialog, MAX starts fine and runs fine.

Any idea what triggers this error?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAX2014_startup_error_on_Win7.jpg (12.0 KB, 55 views)

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

So after bypassing the above error, MAX starts and seems to work fine.

But when I go to load a project that I have been working on, I get the attached error about a missing plugin.

Any idea what plugin this refers to?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAX2014_loadfile_error_on_Win7.jpg (18.3 KB, 36 views)

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Some more background on this.

On this system, I have MAX2014 installed on the XPx64 partition and working fine. I also have MAX2014 installed on the Win7 partition. After installing on the Win7 partition, I copied over files from the XPx64 install so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of totally reconfiguring a MAX2014 workspace which was already configured just fine (over on the XPx64 partition). This worked great. The instant MAX opens, it's setup exactly the way I want and seems to work great.

But obviously, I missed an INI file or something because there is the error on startup and the error when loading a previous project.

If I were to attempt a Repair of the MAX2014 install on the Win7 system, it will destroy my workspace configuration won't it?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

OK, that error that is getting thrown when I try to open my project file refers to AnchorHelperObject.

As I fish down through the MAX2014 menus, I see that an Anchor helper is down in VRML helpers. My scene in no way uses VRML helpers, yet MAX is throwing this error.

If I add an anchor helper to an empty MAX scene and save it... I can reload it without error. The anchor helper appears to be working fine.

I can merge my project scene that throws the error into a blank scene, save it, and then reopen the file and no error is thrown.

So there is a workaround for this error... but not for the error thrown when MAX starts. It appears that the starting error is related to not being able to register this VRML anchor plugin?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DaveWortley
Anchor helpers have something to do with Slate Sets, I'll forward this on to Mick....

Old 07-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Dave, thanks for the ideas.

Interesting. I don't use State Sets in any way at the moment. (I assume you meant State Sets).

Since this system is setup as dual-boot between XPx64 and Win7... on the XPx64 side, MAX2014 starts and runs fine. But as a project is being loaded, the State Sets dialog briefly displays over the MAX UI then disappears when its finished loading... even though I don't use State Sets. (I have seen other posts relating to the State Sets dialog being displayed like this). On the Win7 side, MAX2014 starts with this error. When I go to load a project... I get the missing plugin error dialog, but the State Sets dialog is not displayed at all.

Weird.

The AnchorHelper plugin error I can work around... but the error registering plugins during startup is a big pain.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Marsel Khadiyev
Coffee-to-Code Converter

Marsel Khadiyev
Australia

Hi Mike,

The AnchorHelperObject is indeed used by State Sets. The fact that you're getting the missing plugin dialog for it means that <3dsmaxroot>/bin/assemblies/Autodesk.Max.StateSets.dll wasn't loaded properly. I suspect the error you get with RegisterLoadedPlugins is the reason it doesn't get loaded.

Are you doing anything exotic like opening Max from a service of a different location?

If possible, can you please send me the list of files in your <3dsmaxroot> and <3dsmaxroot>/bin/assembly directories? You can email me directly at marsel.khadiyev (at) autodesk.com if you prefer.

Thanks,

Marsel

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Marsel,

Thanks for looking at this!

I sent you the folder listings for maxroot and assemblies.

I am not starting MAX2014 in any unusual way.

I have a dual-boot system booting between XPx64 and Win7. MAX2014 is installed on both boots. MAX on XPx64 starts and runs fine. MAX on Win7 starts with the above error but basically runs fine once started.

After I installed MAX2014 on Win7, I copied over some items from the XPx64 MAX install so that my toolbars, colors, workspaces, scripts, plugins, etc. would be setup identically. I did not copy over the maxroot or assemblies folders. I also carefully compared MAX folders on both partitions to make sure they are the same and nothing looked unusual. When I started MAX on Win7, all my workspace loaded properly as desired and MAX functions great. But this one startup error is the only issue.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
joconnell
Idiot
John O'Connell
tea maker / drinker
Dublin, Ireland

This seems to have crept into one of my files also - I'm on max 2012 but 2013 was installed on one of the systems I was working on the file with - any hints as to how I can remove it from this scene?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Just a little more info on this.

This is definitely related in some way to State Sets. I don't normally use State Sets but when I went to the Rendering>State Sets menu item to try to open the State Sets dialog... it throws the exact same error that I get at startup and no dialog ever shows.

I've carefully compared the Autodesk.Max.StateSets.dll from both the XPx64 and Win7 installs and they are identical.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

And here is a screengrab of how the State Sets dialog briefly displays when opening a max file in MAX2014 on the XPx64 install. Clearly, State Sets does some weird things on both the Win7 and XPx64 MAX2014 installs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAX2014_startup_state_sets_dialog_on_XPx64.jpg (92.9 KB, 16 views)

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread