Render frame on a particular scaling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Render frame on a particular scaling

Hello,

I know 3dsm is not designed for making plans etc. but is it possible to render something on a particular scale ?
For instance, if I have a top view from building of 50 x 30 m, and I would like to render it on a A4 resolution with a 1/200 scale ?

Thanks for your help

Old 06 June 2013   #2
It's probably easier to build in scale, render a bit bigger than A4 and adjust the size in Photoshop.

Last edited by scrimski : 06 June 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thi's what I did until now. But we have here also a autocad-like program and there it's a piece of cake to create a (vector) PDF on a correct scale on whatever papersize (A4, A3, A2,...).
And because I'm blaming every time this software I must proof that 3DSM can't do that too

Old 06 June 2013   #4
It is perfectly posible to render at any scale in 3ds max, just like in autocad. I am doing it all the time for my school projects (architecture) to render the elevations. If you want to know how am i doing it, let me know.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I want to know how you're doing it

Old 06 June 2013   #6
See the jpg I have attached. If you do not understand, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RenderToScale.jpg (80.8 KB, 15 views)

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thanks for the explanation.
That rectangle you drew, with A4 1/200, what's the size of this one ?

For instance I want to render a A3 sheet, so that's a 4961 x 3508 render size image.
I now drew a 49,61 m x 35,08 m rectangle, with a camera on it, and with the camera target / cone matched on that rectangle with the FOV.
But how can I know which scale I will have to use ?

If I render it this way the scaling is "not standard". Just render it like you see in attachement and print it, the plane with the squares is 30,0 m long, but not any scale seems correct (at least not the one from my scale lathe)

And last thing, the render still remains as pixels, right ?

Thanks for your help

Old 06 June 2013   #8
To keep the scale you want you have to draw your page to scale. Basically it is the reverse process from drawing to scale on paper: instead of drawing the object 200 times smaller (for scale 1:200) you have your geometry at natural size (scale 1:1) but draw the layout 200 times larger.
So, in my picture i started from the rectangle with the size 29.7m/ 21 m (the size of an A4 is 29.7cm/21cm) that is at scale 1:100. Then scale it 200% to make it at 1:200.
Then the resolution you render can be of any value as long as you keep the aspect ratio of your format. In the end you will have the render in which your object (building or whatever) will be at the correct dimension relative to your layout.
So , to recap. First of all, set your resolution to suit your needs (I usually use Print Size Assistant, and for my needs I do not render biger than 150 dpi).
Then draw the layout in real size. If it is A3, that means 42 cm by 29.7 cm. This is scale 1:1. To make it 1:100 scale it 100 times (10000%). Further, to make it 1:200 scale it two times (200%) and so on.
Then adjust your camera acording to your layout, parent the camera to the layout, and then all you have to do is to move your layout in the scene how you want.
Yes , the render means pixels in the end, but your object will have the corect size relative to the layout, at the scale you want.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread