MAX2014 Multiple Plugin.ini Files?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
MAX2014 Multiple Plugin.ini Files?

I won't begin to rant on the disorganization that the MAX folder structure has become... don't get me started.

But I am more than a bit baffled as to why there are multiple plugin.ini files. I have my MAX2014 (and all MAX versions) installed at the root level and have set UseUserProfiles set to 0. So I expect the plugin.ini file to reside at the root level of the MAX folder.

I installed the latest version of Frost and all works fine, but then I was installing something else and had the plugin.ini file open and noticed that there was no entry for Frost. I started looking and there is another plugin.ini file down in the 3ds Max 2014>en-US> and this file had the Frost entry as well as entries for some other plugins.

What is the proper required location for the plugin.ini file now? (and for that matter, other critical MAX files?). Is it down in the en-US folder? If so, I didn't manually add it to the root MAX folder so did some unaware installer do it? Can I consolidate the plugin.ini files and have it reside at the root level?

Just trying to understand the proper operation and avoid confusion.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #2
It's the one in the localized folder, en-us in your case. The one in the root folder is obsolete afaik. This means when starting Max in another language, a different plugin.ini gets used.
For tools that require plugin.ini still in the root folder, you might try creating a soft link there, pointing to the correct plugin.ini file in en-us. This can be done using the mklink shell command...
I use this trick for a plugin-manager tool i got, which is from the year 1997, and this allows me to keep using the tool. Even with Max 2014 :-)

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 06 June 2013   #3
As Josef mentioned I believe the root is obsolete and the only tools writing there are probably installers hardcoded to write to [maxinstall]\plugin.ini.

-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Thanks for the info!

Prior to getting back to this thread, I consolidated all entries into one plugin.ini file and placed it in the MAX root folder as I have always had it there and deleted the one in the en-US folder. MAX functions fine with doing this (it was actually reading both plugin.ini files previously).

But what I wonder is... when I go to install some other plugin in the future... are plugin installers now coded to write a plugin.ini file in the en-US folder and therefore I'll have the same basic problem again?

Also, there is a 3dsmax.ini file in the en-US folder and also one at the MAX root level. When I deleted the one at the root level, started MAX then closed MAX... the 3dsmax.ini file was recreated at the root level again.

So if the new Autodesk edict is to have these critical files down in the language folders, the plugin developers are not getting the memo and the user ends up with multiple files in multiple locations and an added hassle in having to consolidate/deal with all this.

Seems it would have been more logical to have the old location at the root used as before.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I believe it depends on the OS and how they handle languages. See this Microsoft document on Language Packs, here. As long as Autodesk doesn't prevent the install on XP, even though it is no longer officially supported, you can expect the current design to probably stay in place.

Also, with the moving of content from en-US to root you could end up with broken uninstallers or plugin conflicts if you ever choose to update a plugin. So when you run a new Frost install you will need to remove the entry in the en-US.

You should get use to the Language Pack design as that will probably be the route going forward with Microsoft Operating Systems and the applications running on them.

-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thanks for the info Eric!

It sounds like the single plugin.ini file should be placed in the en-US folder... but there will still be hassles for the user until every plugin developer directs stuff to the language folder as multiple plugin.ini's will have to be dealt with. Sigh.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread