GPU use for 3ds max rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Question GPU use for 3ds max rendering

I am working with AMD FX-8350, 8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM and nVidia GeForce GT 630 4GB Graphics card rigged on ASUS MSA97 motherbord..... However everytime I render my file on my system it takes full use of the CPU i.e. CPU usage is 100%, which results in overheating of my processor and it goes to 60C to 70C and causes my system to shut down..... However I am not able to use my Graphics card memory. It would be nice if anyone could help me use my graphics card for rendering process. I am working on 3ds Max 2013 and used Quicksilver Hardware renderer also which helps me to use my Graphic card but the output it gives is too dark and also it does not render many textures also.... unable to understand whats the use of Graphic card if I cannot use it for rendering....??

I would like to know how to properly use my Graphic Card memory for rendering and get better results and
What is the actual use of Graphic Card for 3ds max....

Thanks in advance....
Dumpy

08 August 2013
You got 2 choices dude:

a) Accept that most renderers doesn't utilize your graphics card. Total boner-killer but you'll get over it.
Or
b) Learn how to use a GPU renderer. In my case I don't have the problem you mentioned (with too dark renders) so can't help you there. But there are great video tutorials on youtube about Quicksilver.

08 August 2013
You could consider buying an after-market cooler for your CPU.

This would be my choice as I personally prefer CPU based rendering engines over the GPU ones like quicksilver but also because GeForce (gaming) cards are more prone to overheating under prolonged stress.

Either way heat is probably going to be a problem in the absence of a dedicated cooling solution.

Good luck.

08 August 2013
Your GPU is too low-end and most likely doesn't have enough memory for what you're trying to render, which is why it's only rendering on the CPU.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by dumpy: everytime I render my file on my system it takes full use of the CPU i.e. CPU usage is 100%, which results in overheating of my processor and it goes to 60C to 70C and causes my system to shut down

I have little to no experience with AMD cpu's but overheating at such low temperatures seems a little suspicious to me. 60C to 70C are pretty normal temperatures if you ask me.

Yes, your GPU is pretty low end, but a 630 should support the needed features (it will only go slower than a higher end card) and 4GB should be enough for relatively simple scenes.

Are you sure its not something else that causes your system to shut down?

08 August 2013
I'll be upgrading to a SC GTX 670 soon.

I currently have no problems with my setup at all; no overheating an for some reason 3ds max doesn't take alot to render for my cpu, probably 20% on highend i've ever seen an thats on 2 cores.

My Rig:
Quote: CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz w/ Liquid Cooling OC @ 3.9
Nvidia GTX470
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x4GB) 9-9-9-24-2N
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 128GB

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread