Slide Tool?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Slide Tool?

I've wanted this for a long time and I wonder if there is a script or plugin or some method that would allow this.

Let's say you have 2 objects such as 2 teapots. You select them both and use the Scale tool with 'Use Selection Center'. As you move the mouse, both teapots scale towards the selection center or away from the selection center. As they do, they naturally get bigger or smaller because your using the Scale tool.

Instead... I want to use the 'Slide' tool. I don't want them to change size or shape in any way... I want them to 'Slide' towards that selection center or away from that selection center without the objects changing size. (Likewise, if I pick some other point... I want them to slide towards or away from that point). Not only do I want to use this tool on objects, but also sub-object selections such as verts or polygons, etc.

Does any tool or method like this exist?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I don't know of a tool that does this, but you could get a similar result if you parented each of the teapots to point helpers, and set the teapots to only inherit rotation and position. Then you can scale both points to your hearts content and the teapots will remain their original scale.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I feel you, been looking for this myself for a long time, and had always felt there should be an easy way to accomplish this, the bad news is there doesn't seem to be one natively, the good news is that I managed to find a little script from Mike Pickton (Has a really nice youtube channel with a lot of tips for Max) Here (scroll down) called 'AdjustSpread', that does this though with some limitations:

-Does not work in Sub-Object.
-Does not undo(just zero out the spinner and it'll return to the default state)
-No live preview of the adjustment

And it always uses the selection's center to spread out the objects, anyways the script seems fairly simple and some people with knowledge of Maxscript such as Aaron here may be able to improve upon it...

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Thanks very much for the ideas!

I will give that script a try as well as the non-inheriting method.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread