What the hell, ease Curve?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
What the hell, ease Curve?!

Ilustrated: http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6717...f682ba_XXXL.jpg

On itself value of easy curve seems logical: it tells number of a frame in easecurved animation. but when I try to instance that curve in custom attributes slider, it value becoming schizophrenic like 22000.0, or 99999.99. I cannot wire it and make some division equation, because it then make easecurve separated from another curves on other objects as a copy, and I have a lot of them in scenes, and they must be controlled by same single easecurve... So, why it is behaving like that, and how can I fix it?

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Never seen this before... what version of Max you're using? All PUs are up to date?

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by davius: Never seen this before... what version of Max you're using? All PUs are up to date?

2012 max, SP2

Old 06 June 2013   #4
As far as I understand you're instancing controllers right? Have you ever done it in other versions of Max before? Like 2010 or 2011? The thing with instancing is that when you change the value in one of them is cascades that value to all the other instances. Maybe you got some strange loop dependencies that are driving the controller nuts?

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by davius: As far as I understand you're instancing controllers right? Have you ever done it in other versions of Max before? Like 2010 or 2011? The thing with instancing is that when you change the value in one of them is cascades that value to all the other instances. Maybe you got some strange loop dependencies that are driving the controller nuts?
no, I never done that before, learned about that wonderful thing just recently)
Well, what I do is simply that: select objects, apply ease curve to their transforms, then I copy that curve and paste it into fresh custom attribute as instance. I doubt there is a loop. well... Maybe you right and there is some dependence to a count of objects, which was easecurved?

Old 06 June 2013   #6
The problem is probably related to the conversion of values that 3ds max inherently does. Depending on where the value is coming from 3ds max may be doing value conversions that are causing the issue. A value stored as a percentage of 100%, but exposed as float can return either 100.0 or 1.0 it all depends on how the system(s) has set up the controllers and how it is exposed to the UI.

You should never expect going from one type of controller to another to be consistent. You should only instance Ease Curves to other Ease Curves.

Have you tried linking the CA control to the controller using the UI Control controller parameter instead?

I would recommend posting a simple file showing the issue for others to examine.

-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY:
You should never expect going from one type of controller to another to be consistent. You should only instance Ease Curves to other Ease Curves.
-Eric

Of course not as this is the way Max works. Happy times!

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread