Max 2014 IBL + Distributed Bucket Rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Max 2014 IBL + Distributed Bucket Rendering

I have a problem with new IBL in max 2014, When rendering scene with skylight (environment map) lighting on single machine it looks fine. But when I use Distributed Bucket Rendering the pieces of image rendered on the second machine are much brighter why is this happening?

I had only one skylight and no FG, GI or any other light in the scene.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Is the file in your environment map accessible to the other computer?
It should be on a shared or mapped network drive, that both computers see.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
This is a known issue. Hopefully will be fixed in the update...

Works fine in VRay FWIW...

Also works in Mental Ray if you use FG instead of IBL.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
TheOnlyAaron: putting hdri in network folder makes no difference, besides with "Skylight Illumination from FG" it works fine even with hdri on local folder location.

PelDaddy: I thought it might be a bug, as you say hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Thanks guys

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I've been asking about the inconsistencies and stupid performance issues on DBR, and many folks around came up with several answers.
I thought I figured out the reason of these problems several times - once after increasing the ram amount to 32GB but soon it happened again, after placing the same textures on both computers but soon again it happened again

A week ago I've had this same issue but this time with a warning on mr message window, like "HDR texture is not recognized ". It also stated that this file is not compatible and it will be consuming more memory. (Which causes the rendering to last longer than solo render)

It's strange that there are no errors with HDR files when rendered solo but it appears when distributed bucket render mode is enabled. I just wanted to check with an ordinary jpg file to vanish all the file format errors changed the environment map with an ordinary jpg and to my surprise it worked. No dark buckets and also no stupid pauses.

I hope this is the reason but the great question remains: What is wrong with the hdr files?
Shouldn't we use them and why it happens on DBR?

I hope your message window also displays problem files and you can replace them to check, otherwise start with replacing HDR files, don't know but also check EXR files. Gif files are also a problem and I've seen TIFF files causing the same thing.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: I've been asking about the inconsistencies and stupid performance issues on DBR, and many folks around came up with several answers.
I thought I figured out the reason of these problems several times - once after increasing the ram amount to 32GB but soon it happened again, after placing the same textures on both computers but soon again it happened again

A week ago I've had this same issue but this time with a warning on mr message window, like "HDR texture is not recognized ". It also stated that this file is not compatible and it will be consuming more memory. (Which causes the rendering to last longer than solo render)

It's strange that there are no errors with HDR files when rendered solo but it appears when distributed bucket render mode is enabled. I just wanted to check with an ordinary jpg file to vanish all the file format errors changed the environment map with an ordinary jpg and to my surprise it worked. No dark buckets and also no stupid pauses.

I hope this is the reason but the great question remains: What is wrong with the hdr files?
Shouldn't we use them and why it happens on DBR?

I hope your message window also displays problem files and you can replace them to check, otherwise start with replacing HDR files, don't know but also check EXR files. Gif files are also a problem and I've seen TIFF files causing the same thing.

I have tried with a jpeg as well, but it still gives dark buckets on the slave machines. I wish they would fix this quickly.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Also, for me, even just a color in the env gives the wrong results.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
There is a Material Override function in Processing tab of render settings. You can assign a single material from there to entire scene or one by one assign single material to all objects and check to see if any of the scene materials create a correct result. Then you may pinpoint a problem texture. Be careful to network accesibility as friends say above.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
My latest test have been with no textures anywhere. Just colors. Always dark buckets. Seems to me like a gamma issue, not a texture issue.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread