Can't open file (similar to notetracks issue - but not)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Can't open file (similar to notetracks issue - but not)

Hi. I'm stuck and would realy appreaciate some help if anyone has time.

I have been working on a max file and saving to different filenames as I work. Little did I know, but the file was getting longer to save and load each time. The latest version takes so long that it seemingly can't be opened.

As I have multiple files at different development versions, I have tried the older ones and can see that as the version increases so does the wait time for loading and saving - it very quickly becomes unusable.

On the versions I can open, I have tried a few scripts that delete notetracks (such as cleaner) but to no available. (Cleaner reported no notetracks anyway)

Does anyone know what could be going wrong? how to fix it? or can anyone open and fix these files?

Here is a link to a few versions of the file; version 30 is the latest and the one I really want to be able to open (and return to a usable state). The others do open but will take varying amounts of time.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/shpsho244xf49/3dsMax

The files are max 2013 (v15 - update 6)
There are some some xref's and textures, but I tried opening with all those moved and still got the same results.

Regards,
Dale.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
why not merge objects one by one in a new file?
Best

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Looks like it won't even merge a single box from the file without seemingly taking forever!

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Hey, thanks for your reply!
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried that.

It shows the list of objects I can merge as quickly as usual but whether I choose all objects, just the camera, or just some simple objects to merge, it always takes just as long to merge as working with the original file (if it does it at all).

I tried outputting one of the earlier versions as FBX but that messed with a lot of things and doesn't seem worth it.
I've also tried opening an earlier file and choosing new (keep objects and heirarchy) but that hangs indefinitely.

The latest thing I've tried is to save down to max 2012 version - this seems to work fast and then the file opens fast (seems fixed).... so at the moment I'm waiting (hoping) to see if the latest version of the file will open given enough time - then I will save that down in the same way.

Will post back my results when I know!

Dale.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Hey, thanks for your replies!
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried that.

It shows the list of objects I can merge as quickly as usual but whether I choose all objects, just the camera, or just some simple objects to merge, it always takes just as long to merge as working with the original file (if it does it at all).

I tried outputting one of the earlier versions as FBX but that messed with a lot of things and doesn't seem worth it.
I've also tried opening an earlier file and choosing new (keep objects and heirarchy) but that hangs indefinitely.

The latest thing I've tried is to save down to max 2012 version - this seems to work fast and then the file opens fast (seems fixed).... so at the moment I'm waiting (hoping) to see if the latest version of the file will open given enough time - then I will save that down in the same way.

Will post back my results when I know!

Dale.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
It worked!

I opened max, turned off auto-backup, then opened the latest file.

4 hours later the file had opened and max had finally finished freezing. Then I saved it as max 2012 and that file is fine!!!

Thanks for everyone's help.
Hope this thread helps someone else now

Old 06 June 2013   #7
looks like my previous post saying I'd tried merging to no available and that I would try the above never posted...
oh well - it worked anyway!

Dale.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread