eightshot
Scout
portfolio
David Craven
director
davidacraven LTD
St Helens, United Kingdom

Phoenix FD issue.

recently got my hands on a copy of Phoenix FD for max.

Iv managed to learn a few basics but am having a lot of trouble finding much in the way of online documentation and tutorials. I've found maybe three or four useful tutorials but none go into any real depth.

does anyone know where i might get my hands on some in depth tutorials that cover all the nooks and crannies of phoenix FD?

any help greatly appreciated.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
eightshot
Scout
portfolio
David Craven
director
davidacraven LTD

I was afraid that would be the answer

Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
PelDaddy
Know-it-All
Joe Laffey
The Stable VFX
St. Louis, USA

Google "Phoenix FD Tutorials" turns up a number of them, many videos even.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
eightshot
Scout
portfolio
David Craven
director
davidacraven LTD

Funnily enough, i have tried that.

Most are out of date, (ver 1.2), dont go into any detail (set 'a' as 1, 'b' as 3, 'c' as 7), or are in some other way rubbish.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

It is good software but as with all simulation based tools the learning curve is pretty steep and Phoenix is years newer to the market than FumeFX. You have to have a pretty solid basic understanding of gaseous fluids to walk right into it.

I think most people that pick up Phoenix have already used FumeFX pretty extensively, hence why learning resources for Phoenix are so slim. The basic principles are the same, voxel size, bouyancy/gravity/velocity. You can watch Fume tutorials and apply them to Phoenix it will just require you to know how each interface translates.

If you are just looking for explosion_7a-002 tweak this to get that result, you are out of luck, you will pretty much actually have to learn how to use Phoenix.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
eightshot
Scout
portfolio
David Craven
director
davidacraven LTD

not exactley sure what you mean by "explosion_7a-002 tweak" what im after is someone to do tutorial something like (and im doing this from memory)

viscosity = this is how thick the liquid is the higher the value the thicker the fluid. for example a viscosity of 0 is like water and of 20 is more like think paint

and to go into that kind of detail with all the different attributes of phoenix FD. (i know viscosity is an obvious one but only example i could think of

Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
salt lake city, USA

Some people just want to know what settings to make an explosion, they don't care how or why, they just want someone else to pretty much do it for them. There are a ton of this type of example out there (for FumeFX). They show you how to make something specific without any explanation why. That is what I meant.

You will be hard pressed to find anything that specific for Phoenix, Allan Mckay did a parameter overview for FumeFX, I haven't seen it so I can't judge either way if it is what you are looking for or not.

My best advice is do what anyone that is good at Phoenix or Fume has done, first hunker down for a day or two with a simple scene and the Phoenix Manual open and read about each param, adjust it in a scene (I usually test params in min. then max. to see their effect), simulate, then you actually see the result. Not only do you get an understanding of the params, this gets you familiar with the interface.

It is a fairly steep learning curve but once you figure out whats happening it gets easier and easier to mimic phenomena.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
captain brainiac
Expert

i found this helpfull

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD416EC31BE9E2F1D

Have you checkd the learning videos on the CG Website?

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/phoenixvideos.html

Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
salt lake city, USA

LOL looks like someone has done it for you. Great share! Bookmarked! Thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
eightshot
Scout
portfolio
David Craven
director
davidacraven LTD

thanks captain brainiac that's EXACTLY what i needed, book marked and am sitting through them as i speak

Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Michael-McCarthy
All around nice guy

Michael McCarthy
USA

Yep thanks for posting these Captain! I plan on making some new training on the latest Phoenix FD in the not so distant future too. Feel free to post any topics you would find interesting.

Thanks!
Michael

Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Frescalus
Frequenter
portfolio
Neil Kirby
Maitland, US

Send a message via AIM to Frescalus Send a message via MSN to Frescalus Send a message via Yahoo to Frescalus
I'm actually learning from the ground up myself, I'm trying to compare it to fume fx, I had an easier time with fume fx but I was also able to use existing tutorials as well...
the one thing that's kind of bothering me with pfd is using particles with it...like you can with maya fluids and fume fx...but that may be just lack of experience is all..

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Laserschwert
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-McCarthy
Yep thanks for posting these Captain! I plan on making some new training on the latest Phoenix FD in the not so distant future too. Feel free to post any topics you would find interesting.
Sounds great!

I think it would make sense to at first cover just the basics and most common uses that people could pretty much use like "presets", like flames and smoke at different scales (candle < torch < bonfire < flamethrower < chimney < burning building), as well as explosions with different looks (mushroom cloud, zero-G, exploding planes).

Regarding liquids there's again several "common" uses, like filling something with water at different scales (coffee cup < fish tank < swimming pool < flooding New York City) or - with the new foam/splash/ocean tools - something reacting with the water (dropping a stone into a pond < driving a car off a pier < a submarine emerging < unleashing the Kraken).

Some of these can already be found on YouTube or Vimeo (many of them created by users at the Chaosgroup forums), but it would be cool to get some more detailed docmentation on them, as well as presets you can quickly apply to your scenes.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread