Windows 7 and Max 2010 directory issues - help!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Question Windows 7 and Max 2010 directory issues - help!

OK, so I have set the user paths and system paths to where I want, in the Max 2010 install directory and not in the AppData/Roaming and AppData/Local directories. I don't want Max putting anything there. I change everything, copy the stuff in there including my .ini with the savings, into the install directry, and as soon as I launch Max again it ignore the ini in its install directory and instead creates the AppData folders again with a new ini. This behavior is very frustrating. How do I make Max only look in and use its install directory for everything?

Appreciate the help!

06 June 2013
Well it gets worse... Not only is Max 2010 insisting on making those directories in AppData it also puts a bunch of crap in my modeling directory. Where is Max getting all this directory information from outside of the .ini? There has to be some file somewhere directing all of this. I would like to know how to make Max not create any directories outside of its install directory.

Please help me if you can!

06 June 2013
Set "useUserProfiles=0" in installsettings.ini (Max Root folder).
After that Max should'nt create your files in the userfolders, but in the Max root folder ( may require admin privileges), or the folders you have set in your ini files. Some files still are scattered through appdata folders, like logging files,CIP data etc...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

06 June 2013
Talking

That was the answer - thank you!

I uninstalled Max, did a fresh install, changed that setting first thing before I ran it and everything is in the Max install directory like I want. Just a few items in AppData/Roaming. I am very happy!

Thanks again! Now if only I could increase the font size that easily...

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread