Display Tab/Floater & Scene Explorer?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Display Tab/Floater & Scene Explorer?

It seems the Display Floater/Display Tab is not integrated with the Scene Explorer?

Let's say you have 100 lights on 27 different layers in your scene. The value of the Display Floater/Display Tab, is that with a single click... you can hide all lights from showing in the viewports without having to hid them individually or hide each of their layers. This works fine.

The Display Floater is also perfectly integrated with the old Selection Floater such that when lights are visible, they show in the Selection Floater. When lights are hidden, they disappear from the Selection Floater and you have a simplified scene object list to deal with.

But when working with a Scene Explorer instead (and having Display Hidden Objects OFF), the lights are still shown in the Scene Explorer when hiding lights with the Display Floater/Display Tab. If you manually hide each light or hide each light layer... the lights properly disappear from the Scene Explorer.

In this situation, the route of least pain is for the user to click 27 times to hide the light layers in order to view a scene object list that is simplified by not displaying lights in the list. This is true for all objects when using Hide by Category in the Display Floater/Display Tab.

In addition, if those lights are children of other objects... their HIDDEN parents are shown in the Scene Explorer too!!!

This is a major PITA. Autodesk... please fix this.

Am I missing something? Is there a setting that will make the Scene Explorer properly not display objects that are hidden (using the Display Floater/Display Tab Hide by Category) when the SE Display Hidden Objects button is OFF?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Correction: The route of least pain in the light situation above, is to additionally click on the hide lights button in the Scene Explorer in addition to having clicked on the hide lights category checkbox in the Display Floater/Display Tab. (Something totally unnecessary in the old Selection Floater).

But if the user was trying to Hide by Category 7 categories in the Display Floater/Display Tab... the route of least pain would be to click 7 buttons in the Scene Explorer as well. All because the Display Hidden Objects button doesn't respect objects hidden via the Display Floater/Display Tab.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #3
This sounds related to a thing i've noticed.

If you hide all helpers by category, select some objects and isolate. Then open the select by name dialog (h) it shows a list of both the visible geometry and all the stuff hidden by type. Surely isolate shouldn't isolate selected objects and all hidden by type ones?

I thought it was the selection window, but if you then uncheck hide by type>helpers they ARE in the isolated selection even though they weren't selected when isolating.

Does this happen for anyone else? Or might it be related to our custom helpers?

Might be a flaw with isolate rather than the scene explorer.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Thanks for the ideas!

It's possible you may be right. I just did your test and got the same results.

I created 3 teapots and 3 standard lights (one spot, two omnis).
I used the Display Floater to hide all lights.
I selected one teapot and isolated it.
Then I opened the Select by Name dialog and the one teapot and all the lights are listed there.

If I try the test and hide the lights via the Layer dialog... only the teapot shows in the Select by Name dialog as desired.

If I try the test with no lights hidden... the teapot and the spotlight target show in the Select by Name dialog. (the spotlight target shouldn't be listed when the teapot is the only object selected for isolation).

Definitely something wacky here.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Last edited by Mike Truly : 06 June 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Ah at least I know it's not our custom stuff then. Thanks for testing it.

Sounds more like a bug than an intentional feature. I guess no-one's looking at the hide by type stuff when they test it.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread