CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk 3ds max
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Mike Truly
Lord of the posts
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Material/Map Browser Questions

I am a bit baffled by what the Material/Map Browser has become when working in Compact Material Editor mode. It seems to lack a lot of functionality that was in the old style dialog. (The Material Editor itself and the Material/Map Navigator seem basically unchanged but the Material/Map Browser is obviously changed).

1. Is there some way to revert back to the old style Material/Map Browser?

2. Where is the 'Get From Selected' function that used to let you get the material off of the selected object?

3. When I see a Multi-Sub material in the list... why can't I see and choose the sub-materials within it?

4. You used to be able to see both materials and maps within a Material hierarchy or choose to only see the root level and not the maps. Is there no way to do this?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

Quote:
1. Is there some way to revert back to the old style Material/Map
Browser?

find your plugcfg folder.
Usually "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\20 14 - 64bit\ENU\plugcfg_ln"

open SME.ini file.

Set "UseOldMtlBrowser=1"

Quote:
2. Where is the 'Get From Selected' function that used to let you get the
material off of the selected object?

There is "Filter Eelected Objects" option in "Scene Materials" rollout

Quote:
3. When I see a Multi-Sub material in the list... why can't I see and choose
the sub-materials within it?

There is "Show Subtree" option in "Scene Materials" rollout

Quote:
4. You used to be able to see both materials and maps within a Material
hierarchy or choose to only see the root level and not the maps. Is there no
way to do this?

At the top left corner, there is an arrow icon. You can choose to see only map ot material.
If you turn off "Show Subtree", that is same as Root Only option.

Last edited by gandhics : 06-05-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Mike Truly
Lord of the posts
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Thank you very much! That helps greatly.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Mike Truly
Lord of the posts
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

OK, bit of a problem with this.

The INI file change did make the old style Material/Map Browser show up, but it is not working properly.

If I create a material in the Compact Material Editor and go to save it to the library... it acts like it saves it just fine. But the material does not show in the library in the old style Material/Map Browser. If I go to save the material again, it acts properly and asks if I want to overwrite the material with the same name. I say Yes and it acts like it saves it... but the material does not show in the library in the browser.

The attached screengrab shows the Material/Map Browser displaying no saved materials.

The Material/Map Browser is not refreshing to show the materials. If I click the 'View List + Icons' button at the top of the browser... the materials show up. Each time I save a new material, it does not show up until I click on the top buttons which refreshes the dialog.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_style_material_map_browser_Problem_01.jpg (82.0 KB, 14 views)

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Mike Truly
Lord of the posts
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

OK, this is worse than I thought.

In Win7, when using the old style Material/Map Browser and saving a material to the library... the saving process seems to be normal but the material is not displayed in the library until I click one of the buttons at the top of the dialog which then refreshes and shows the added material.

In XPx64, when using the old style Material/Map Browser and saving a material to the library... it first asks which library to save into by presenting two options - the name of the previously loaded library or 'Temporary Library'. (I've never seen this before... what it this temp library?). I choose to save into the previously loaded library and then the saving process seems to be normal but the material is not displayed in the library and if try to click one of the buttons at the top of the dialog to refresh it... it never shows the added material. Since it never displays the added material (even though it is actually there), it makes the browser totally unusable.

When I use the Save function within the browser to save the material library to disk, it saves the file. If I use the Open function to reload the material library, it reloads it but still refuses to display the newly added materials in the library. In addition, when I exit MAX2014... a dialog pops up that asks if I want to save the material library to disk before exiting. (I've never seen this before... I usually save the MAT file from within the browser... why is it asking me to save it again?). I say yes.

If I exit MAX and restart MAX and open the material library file... the newly added materials are displayed in the list.

Are there some other settings that I'm missing to make the browser and material libraries function as they have for many years?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread