Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

MAX2014 Network Render Checkbox?

Others have probably dealt with this before... but as I am currently transitioning from MAX2010 to MAX2014, I am now dealing with net rendering changes.

Autodesk has removed the Net Render checkbox from the Render Setup dialog that has been there forever and wasn't broken so naturally needed fixing. They have made it more obtuse by burying an additional 'Submit to Network Render' button deeper in the interface. (If your going to add a special button for Net Render... at least add it at the same level next to the regular Render button so I don't have to drill down to use it).

But here's where it gets really fun.

First some background. For many years now, I generally do all rendering through RPM -Render Pass Manager (one of the greatest plugins/scripts ever written - thank you Grant!) and I don't often use the Render Setup dialog or the Network Render dialog to do things. Everything can easily be handled within the RPM dialog. When you setup an animation pass within RPM, you define what camera to use, frame range, etc. etc. etc. But when you are at the stage of modeling and material test rendering, it is sometimes easier/quicker to use the standard MAX render interface rather than RPM to do this. RPM can do preview renders just fine... but many times I just use the standard interface to do it.

So for example... lets say I have a bunch of net-rendering animation passes setup within RPM (the Net Render checkbox in RPM is checked) but I want to use the standard MAX render interface to do some single-frame test renders.

In the past, I would open the Render Setup dialog and there would be the Net Render checkbox and it would be checked (because RPM told it to be checked). I would simply uncheck the box and press Render and it would render the single-frame image without complaint.

Now, when I go to the Render Setup dialog... there is no Net Render checkbox. So if I press 'Render'... it opens the Net Rendering dialog because it thinks I want to net render when what I really want is a way to turn off net rendering so I can render a single image. I can find no way within the Render Setup dialog to turn off net rendering as before.

Currently, the only way I can do it is to open the RPM dialog, uncheck the Net Render checkbox on the current pass (which potentially screws things up for the pass since it was correctly set for the pass to be net rendered) and then go back to the Render Setup dialog and press Render and now it will render a single image.

It is ridiculous to have removed the Net Render checkbox from the standard MAX Render Setup dialog. Am I missing something? Is there a way within the dialog to be able to toggle whether MAX thinks it should be net rendering or not?

(I'm sure there's probably a way to toggle net rendering ON or OFF via scripting or the commandline renderer... that's not the point. Where can I do it in the interface?).

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
DanGrover
Know-it-All
portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
You're not missing anything, the option isn't there. You can fix it, however, but clicking the little Arrow next to the render button that lets you open up the Network Render Dialog and hit "Production". That's what you already have loaded, I know, but if you hit then, it will no longer default to rendering over the network. It effectively unchecks the invisible Network Render checkbox.

There's also a line of maxscript you can run, but this way's basically easier.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
em3
day dreamer

portfolio
Dave Tyner
3D Artist
Polyform Media
Denver, United%2BStates

Send a message via Yahoo to em3

Quote:
(I'm sure there's probably a way to toggle net rendering ON or OFF via scripting or the commandline renderer... that's not the point. Where can I do it in the interface?).

I haven't tried it but I think this can be handled with a simple scripted UI control.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Thanks very much for the pointers! I'm not sure I would have ever figured out that just clicking Production Render again would toggle this setting.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread