Frequenter
portfolio
Christian Holz
3D Artist / Medieninformatiker
Stuttgart, Germany

set Object color same as layer color

Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem like this one.
I Import a DWG file and it is colored according to the different autocad layers (so the layers have the correct color). But I as well need them to be on a single layer. However, once I do this, it changes to the color of the layer (because the objects themselves have no color set).
Is there a way to first set the object color the same as the layer color, and after doing so, add them to a single layer.
Anyone got any ideas how to do that (without setting 50 colors by hand)?

best regards,

Christian

Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

To set the wirecolor the same as the layer select all objects that you want to get their color from the layer they are on (can be all scene objects at once), Open the Object Properties Dialog, Press the Color Button, and set the By Object/By Layer button to By Layer.

Side Note: All Objects have a wirecolor, it may be set to black or some other color but every object in 3ds max always has a color.

-Eric

Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Holzi
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian Holz
3D Artist / Medieninformatiker
Stuttgart, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY
To set the wirecolor the same as the layer select all objects that you want to get their color from the layer they are on (can be all scene objects at once), Open the Object Properties Dialog, Press the Color Button, and set the By Object/By Layer button to By Layer.

Side Note: All Objects have a wirecolor, it may be set to black or some other color but every object in 3ds max always has a color.

-Eric

but doesn't that just set the properties of whether it displays all objects on one layer in the color of the layer, regardeless of the objects color? Meaning once I add an object (from the red layer) to another layer (green) it turns to the color of the new layer (green in this case)?

What i need is to actually SET the objects color to that of the layer, so once i move it to another layer, it stays red. Know what I mean?

It seems this script does the job more or less: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/s...recolor-toolbox

Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
em3
day dreamer

portfolio
Dave Tyner
3D Artist
Polyform Media
Denver, United%2BStates

Send a message via Yahoo to em3
I think this is what you want. After the dwg import, select the objects that you'd like to maintain wirecolor, run this script

Code:
col = for o in selection collect #(o,o.wirecolor)

move them to the destination layer (they no longer have to be selected) and run this script

Code:
for c = 1 to col.count do ( col[c][1].wirecolor = col[c][2] )

Alternatively, you could just create a temp material with the color set to that object's wirecolor.

Code:
--change the word 'objects' to 'selection' to run on just the selected objects. for o in objects where o.material == undefined do ( thec = o.wirecolor m=Arch___Design__mi () m.diff_Color = thec o.material = m )

Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

To set all objects to have their wire color matching the layer they are currently on run:
Code:
objects.colorbylayer = false for o in objects do ( o.wirecolor = o.layer.wirecolor )

To only have geometry have its wire color changed run:
Code:
geometry.colorbylayer = false for o in geometry do ( o.wirecolor = o.layer.wirecolor )

To do it by object selection run:
Code:
selection.colorbylayer = false for o in selection do ( o.wirecolor = o.layer.wirecolor )

Basically the first line ensures that the class isn't using the Color By Layer option, and the loop sets the objects wirecolor to match that of the layer they are currently on.

-Eric

Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread