CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Exclamation Help my 3dmax is crushing on render

hi guys,
I'm working on 3dmax design 2013 and my project keep crushing down on render..
intel core i7 3.40GHz
Ram 16
system windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

and i'm not finished with the light yet !!!
what do i do its a complex file but still shouldn't my desktop be able to hold large files??
the file size itself isn't much 71,044 kb

I tried to change the Dynamic memory limit from( basic 400) to 7000 still crushes at Render
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Stefan Gura
bratislava, Slovakia
what render engine?
Try assign kind of basic material to everything. Will it reder? Then it is problem with some material. It happens sometime. If not turn off or delete all lights. Render. Yes -problem with lights. No - try hide half of objects (some geometry errors). Render. And so on.
My TEN entry My THU entry
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
He mentioned Dynamic Memory Limit, so VRay.

That's good that you increased it, 400mb is about 7 years out of date. In fact, in the latest version of VRay they upped the default to 4000mb instead.

It's hard to diagnose without more information. Are you doing global illumination? Stefan's suggestion of putting a basic over-ride material on everything is a great suggestion too. Try turning off all reflections, maps, displacement etc in the Global Switches settings, and then flick them back on one by one (assuming that it doesn't crash with them all off) to see what it is that's tripping it up.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Joe Laffey
The Stable VFX
St. Louis, USA
Look in to VRay proxies. You could take your biggest objects and make proxies of them. This will let VRay load only the portions of the object required to render.

Also, how do you mean it is crushing your machine? Check the RAM usage in Task Manager. Is Max suing all your RAM? If not you could use static BSP settings (rather than dynamic) and tweak your BSP tree to make it deeper. (Lower Face/level coef.). Note, I am using the latest VRay in Max 2014. No idea how any of this applies to your version. But the proxies can be awesome.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread