AD Naiad

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
AD Naiad

Hi guys
any new news about naiad after being sold to AD?
exotic mater web site been closed
any new news

Old 06 June 2013   #2
It was said that they are working on something new.
And that nothing that can be disclosed at the moment.
I think adesk was more interested in the brains behind naida than the product itself.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Logically(and ideally) it should be implemented into Max, considering there's been all sorts of hints, the last of which being the option in the Max's Entertainment survey asking if you'd want to see the implementation of a fluid simulator, but then again, who am I kidding here, I thought the same thing when autodesk acquired ShaderFX(Lumonix to be more precise), and a year later they are using the tech and the dev to actually enhance Maya's shader system... so, yeah...

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Rudiam: Logically(and ideally) it should be implemented into Max, considering there's been all sorts of hints, the last of which being the option in the Max's Entertainment survey asking if you'd want to see the implementation of a fluid simulator, but then again, who am I kidding here, I thought the same thing when autodesk acquired ShaderFX(Lumonix to be more precise), and a year later they are using the tech and the dev to actually enhance Maya's shader system... so, yeah...

I don't believe in that
commercialy Naiad is a brand and autodesk will never ignore this point sure they will go for stand alone product with no implementation in any other products
may they will think about some plugins such as realflow
in the other hand we know that nvidia are developing the dynamic side in max (Mass FX)
and they show some researches on the fluid simulation side and real time too

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by SHRIF: I don't believe in that
commercialy Naiad is a brand ...

Naiad is dead as a software package and as a brand. Autodesk bought the technology behind Naiad to be included in one or more of their 3D apps, not to resell it as a standalone app, well that's what i think they did after reading the announcement some months back.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Rudiam: Logically(and ideally) it should be implemented into Max, considering there's been all sorts of hints, the last of which being the option in the Max's Entertainment survey asking if you'd want to see the implementation of a fluid simulator, but then again, who am I kidding here, I thought the same thing when autodesk acquired ShaderFX(Lumonix to be more precise), and a year later they are using the tech and the dev to actually enhance Maya's shader system... so, yeah...
A few problems with your statements here.

Autodesk didn't acquire any existing tools from Lumonix. They hired Kees as a developer. As with other developers who had products and were hired, Autodesk doesn't inherit all the developers tools without acquiring the tools as part of the process. AFAIK, Autodesk did not acquire any of the commercially available tools that Kees has developed. It is still unclear if there were acquisitions of other technology that hadn't become public yet.

Fluids is a broad generalize term abused in our industry. For example, fire/smoke/etc are fluids yet not a part of Naiad or other water based simulation packages. The assumption that fluids means anything specific without further clarification is a bad decision on your part that could lead to disappointment.

-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY:
Fluids is a broad generalize term abused in our industry. For example, fire/smoke/etc are fluids yet not a part of Naiad or other water based simulation packages. The assumption that fluids means anything specific without further clarification is a bad decision on your part that could lead to disappointment.

-Eric

fire/smoke/etc was part of naiad http://vimeo.com/47483305

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by larex: fire/smoke/etc was part of naiad http://vimeo.com/47483305
First time I ever saw that, interesting. Still need a way to render it, which isn't available in 3ds max.

-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: First time I ever saw that, interesting. Still need a way to render it, which isn't available in 3ds max.

-Eric

Not natively, but I saw at the start that it supports Krakatoa .prt files - that should work OK? I know absolutely nothing about Naiad however, so I may be totally wrong.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: Still need a way to render it, which isn't available in 3ds max.

-Eric

the render not a big deal you can render with scan line and the max body was very effective in importing and exporting to naiad

what am was talking about this tool no out of consideration or what ??
AD never talk about the future
we r using this tool right now is it will still exist and they will keep issuing more versions or they will integrated in AD products ??

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: Fluids is a broad generalize term abused in our industry. For example, fire/smoke/etc are fluids yet not a part of Naiad or other water based simulation packages. The assumption that fluids means anything specific without further clarification is a bad decision on your part that could lead to disappointment.

-Eric

Yes I know what fluids implies in our industry, and as others pointed out fume has been implemented in Naiad before the acquisition...

Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY:
Autodesk didn't acquire any existing tools from Lumonix. They hired Kees as a developer. As with other developers who had products and were hired, Autodesk doesn't inherit all the developers tools without acquiring the tools as part of the process. AFAIK, Autodesk did not acquire any of the commercially available tools that Kees has developed. It is still unclear if there were acquisitions of other technology that hadn't become public yet.

-Eric

It really doesn't matter if any specific tool was or was not part of the acquisition, the fact of the matter is that a series of tools that used to be developed for 3ds max are no longer in active development and/or available to purchase/download, and the person developing them is now part of autodesk and is using his knowledge of the matter which in this case can be considered the tech itself to develop for something other than 3ds max...

Also sorry that I went a bit off topic with this...

Last edited by Rudiam : 06 June 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Do you really beleive AD will integrate anything like Naiad technology into Max? Why do you want a fluid package by AD? Any updates by AD is mostly small stuff that costs nothing and is easy to maintain. If there will be anything like Naiad, you will most certainly see that in Maya as Maya already has fluid dynamics and node interfaces integrated. And if it is there, I bet it will be a crippled form that is hard to use with tons of bugs. AD style.

Do you really beleive any fluid add on (not talking about liquids, here) to Max by AD could really compete with FumeFX? I mean an add on by Autodesk. Max lives because of the plugins, without it was a halfway cool modelling package that hasn't seen any real improvements for years.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
If they aren't going to keep it as a standalone product, it does seem odd that they'd even bother buying the team. As has been said, Maya already has its own, and why would AD prefer to integrate one into Max when it's already so well supported via plugins (that the users, not AD pay for). If they keep it as a standalone bit of software (even if it's technically not "Naiad"), they can control it and make it only function with other AD software, but even then... who'd buy it?

Old 06 June 2013   #14
They don't have to integrate it wholly, they can use the tech to create a modified version for Max...

Max has always been known as the Swiss army knife of 3D packages and right know it lacks a fluid simulator out of the box, so do the math...

As for competeing with 3rd party programs, there's a third party app for pretty much every thing in any 3D package, so why bother at all huh?... Besides looking at the demos of the last beta versions back before the aquisition, both the fume and the liquid effects looked great, there are video's comparing Naiad with Realflow, and to me Naiad is more than capable to compete with that particular program...

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Simple answer...it costs AD money to integrate the software into Max and you need to pay some programmers who are maintaining the code and fixing bugs Max sells without an integrated liquids solution, also because people use it with FumeFX, TP etc. That costs AD not a single cent and they don't need to maintain this software (very expensive). There never was a fluids package inside max and there never will be. Max users who are into fluids use externel software and probably built a pipelinie around it.

It makes more sense from a company's point of view to boost existing technology (like Maya Fluids, maybe ICE in SI) with parts that came with Naiad, are probably easily to integrate (=not many programmers needed) and will have an enormous effect in the marketing. It is there, anyway and there is personel doing the coding and maintenance, anyway. I mean, last year AD laid off 10% of their staff...for a reason.

Companies like AD aren't about providing you with top notch technology, but about making money without putting in too much of an effort.

Thread Closed share thread