Object Naming Digits

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Object Naming Digits

MAX2014

The MAX helpfile indicates that you can add a line to the 3dsmax.ini file to control the number of digits that are automatically appended to newly created objects. So for example:

[Preferences]
NameSuffixLength=2

would result in objects named:
Object01

This is not working for me. After adding this to the ini file, I still get objects named:
Object001

Am I doing this wrong?
(And where did all the settings that used to be in the 3dsmax.ini file go?)

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 08 August 2013   #2
MAX2014 Win7 or XPx64

OK, something seems really wacked with this.

1. This doesn't work... the number of trailing digits is not setting with this command.

2. But what is happening is that by editing the 3dsmax.ini file (which you could always do in the past if I recall correctly), the file becomes wacked and then when MAX boots the UI settings are all wrong.

For example. If I have MAX all setup properly the 3dsmax.ini file is about 27K in size. But when I go to edit the file to add the digits line and save the file... then I start MAX and the UI is wacked. I go and look at the INI file and the file is about 8K in size. The UI and other settings are wacked since it's not the same INI file is was before.

Any idea why this would be happening when you could always edit the 3dsmax.ini file previously? Doesn't make sense.

(by the way, I have MAX2014 installed at the root and the UseUserProfiles setting is 0 and all the settings are down in MAX>en-US>, etc.)

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 08 August 2013   #3
I haven't used 2014 yet but a while back some of those settings ended up in weird locations like C:/User/application data/roaming/ etc.

May bet the wrong file?

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thanks for the ideas!

I agree that there are settings files all over the file structure these days... which is wacked in itself and it makes administering MAX a pain.

But I checked and there are no other 3dsmax.ini files around or being used. It's using the INI in the en-US location which went from 27K to 8K when edited to add the new line to it (which should have made the file bigger not smaller).

So it looks like the file can no longer be edited or something. Weird.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread