Grid Clipping Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Grid Clipping Issue

I have an issue with max's viewport gird 'clipping' out when objects move a certain distance from origin [0,0,0]. If you take a box and move it 10000 units x y z, you'll see grid disappears from the viewport background in what ever direction you object was moved. (tested this in max 2009 and 2012 )

If you have an object at orgin the grid will stay intact but as soon as you switch into isolation mode or hide w/e geo was there, you lose the grid again.

I need to be working in meters for this project so I can't really scale my scene down. I poked around looking for a setting that effects this but came up empty, does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Yeah the Max viewport makes an effort to set clipping around your visible geometry. It's not very good at it when you're far from the origin, but it's better than making you set the clip values yourself all the time.

If you uncheck Inhibit Perspective View grid Resize in the grid and snap settings, the grid will follow the view around.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Originally Posted by robinb: If you uncheck Inhibit Perspective View grid Resize in the grid and snap settings, the grid will follow the view around.

That was one of the first settings I played with actually and it's not a fix sadly.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Weird. Works here in max 2012. I work on game environments, so we're often far from the origin. As soon as I check that, the grid appears around my chunk of geometry and updates as I pan around.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Does it works in the top, bottom, front, back, left, right, viewports or just the perspective? It works in my perspective fine but I was talking about the rest of them.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Ah that's a different issue then. It doesn't clip them in ortho viewports. They should be visible forever.

But it might not be subdividing enough. If the Inhibit Grid Subdivision Below Grid Spacing is ON and the grid spacing is pretty big compared to the scene (say a grid of 100m and your object is less than 1cm) you might be looking though the gap in huge grid squares. So try toggling that setting off and see if anything pops up. It toggles right away if the grid is on.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Oh, another thing it might be is if you've enabled the viewport clipping in an ortho view. It makes no sense to do that, but it will allow you to and you CAN clip the grid if you pull the far clipping marker in too far. Turn off viewport clipping from the viewport label menu.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Ya it's definitely not view port clipping setting and the grid isn't huge. I'm thinking this is just a good ole bug at this point.

Here's a quick video of the behavior, you can actually see how the geometry reaches the edge of the 'viewport space' and will disappear until you update the viewport.again and then the grid is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibgwlqVEBpk

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Weird. Never seen anything like that. All works as I've descibed here.

I wonder if it's a graphics card driver issue.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread