Best way to do bump maps within blended shaders in mr?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Best way to do bump maps within blended shaders in mr?

Say I have a paint shader, blended with a decal shader using an alpha, blended with a dust shader using a separate alpha?

What's the best way to do the bump map(s)?

Currently I have one for the paint layer and one for the dust layer but it would be ideal if I could add one on top of the overall shader...

05 May 2013
This used to be possible using the utility combiner shaders but they were removed from MR for no reason that I can see. The alternative is the Blur utility material. Have a look at this thread I posted a while back.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...y+bump+material

05 May 2013
Thanks for the reply, I was pleased to see this! I just installed it - but I have to uncheck the 'show incompatable maps' box in order to see it in the material editor.

And mr throws up this error (in Max Design 2013):

MSG 0.0 15 MB error: Material "Material #87 ( Utility Material )" not supported by the translator. Will render black.

If I apply it to an object anyway and render (with an Arch design piped into it) - then the object is invisible.

05 May 2013
Unfortunately for you, it appears to not be compatible with MR. I've left MR for vray some time ago so I wasn't aware of this. As I mentioned above the MR utility shaders were removed in recent Max releases with no apparent reason whatsoever which is quite ridiculous as they were pretty essential shaders for a lot of users.

05 May 2013
Hi,

I have Displace_Combiner + Bump_Combiner includet as a Material by Shader Utilities.

download here: http://www.infinity-vision.de/page/su_free_version

and all is good...

mfg
hot chip

05 May 2013
Nice work - thanks! Works great.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread