Grid intensity changing by itself

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Grid intensity changing by itself

Hello all,

I've got a weird, quirky thing happening with my Max and hope you can help me out. I'm using the default colors for just about everything except my grid. I find the grid too bright and distracting with the default setup, so I changed the "Set by intensity" value to 47, which seems to be right where I want it. I hit "Save..." and all is good... until the next time I close and open Max. The value is then reset to a value of 158.

I've resorted to manually changing the value in the MaxStartUI.clrx file and this seems to stick for a while longer, but still, eventually, Max will revert it back to the 158 value.

I've attached an image if that helps at all.

Is there any way to make this change permanent?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grid_intensity.jpg (78.6 KB, 18 views)

05 May 2013
Yeah - this is a known problem and still exists in Max2014
As soon as you adjust any color in the UI config dialog, your grid intensity setting gets defaulted to 158. Currently there is no cure except NOT editing the color settings...
You might even try to set your correctly configured *.clx file to readonly in the file properties
I did not test this though, but do it for the menufiles in the past.

With the menu files readonly, all you get is a warning on exit, but at least no intrusive script can mess arround with you menus. Don't know how this works out for the clx files though

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

05 May 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I thought the same thing at first, but sometimes I don't even mess with the config settings and the value will reset. So, there must be something I'm using in Max that is making changes without me knowing.

Originally Posted by spacefrog: You might even try to set your correctly configured *.clx file to readonly in the file properties. I did not test this though, but do it for the menufiles in the past.

With the menu files readonly, all you get is a warning on exit, but at least no intrusive script can mess arround with you menus. Don't know how this works out for the clx files though

I actually did try this a couple of days ago and didn't see any negative effects except for the warning/error on exit you mentioned, which I guess I can live with as the lesser of two evils.

Edit: I just tried making the file read only again and it is not throwing a warning today. Strange.

Last edited by avenali312 : 05 May 2013 at 06:06 PM.

05 May 2013
Adding this in case anyone looks for a solution in the future:

It appears that the MaxStartUI.clrx file with the custom grid intensity can be set to read only. The only time that I receive the warning before closing Max is after I've worked on a file from a different artist.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread