Autodesk Stupidity (Full Rant Mode)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Autodesk Stupidity (Full Rant Mode)

I am so sick of dealing with constant Autodesk stupidity. Year after year it's the same... one bungle after another.

So I'm wondering why I haven't received my MAX2014 DVD which should have been shipped to me by now... so I try log into the subscription site to verify what my delivery preference is (why would I need to do this since I NEVER change my delivery preference?) and of course I can't log in because I can't get to the site because the idiots at Autodesk thought service was re-designing the website once again and of course didn't include any working re-directs from the previously working URLs. So I must waste more time navigating the Autodesk site so I can be impressed with their kewl new web design. I find the site but have to re-enter all login info because the previously stored info only works for the old site. I login and begin to search for where the logical folks might hide the delivery preference box and after fumbling through all links I find it down in 'My Profile'... silly me.

And low and behold, even after having the preference set for many previous years to be DVD box delivery... they have changed my preference for me to be 'download'! How kind, how thoughtful, oh thank you so much. And the box saying 'download' is grayed out! I can't even change it back to what it had been. I can't even find whatever magic webpage would allow such a thing.

I live high in the mountains where the internet bandwidth is very small. Downloading massive bloatware is out of the question. I need the physical DVD delivery and you pinheads have changed my preference for me. Now I must waste even more time as I deal with your websites, dealers and bureaucracy to try to get some value from what I've been paying you for.

Thanks Autodesk, thanks alot.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

05 May 2013
I got an email from Autodesk around a month or two before the 2014 release came out, saying that the default delivery method was going to default to download now, but you could change it back to DVD delivery if you want.

I logged in early April when the software was announced and 'requested' a physical copy...it arrived 2 days later, around 10 days before the 'download' version was even live!

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

05 May 2013
Yep, you need to "manually" request a physical copy in the subscription center now. I had to do the same thing. The delivery was pretty fast, only took a couple of days, but I'm not going to comment any further on the quality of AD services here .... .

Cheers!

05 May 2013
Thanks for the ideas.

I discovered the same thing regarding manually requesting physical delivery. My dealer said that there would be an additional fee for this in the future. My dealer also said that it was impossible to change my delivery preference to physical delivery of the product and that download was the only choice allowed. So each year it must be manually requested for a fee.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

05 May 2013
Just a follow up on this.

I did receive my MAX2014 DVD shipment about a week after I requested it.

Again to recap… The point of having a delivery preference setting was so each customer could have the product delivery happen relative to their specific needs without the customer having to direct Autodesk each time as to those specific needs. It was a service to the customer to not have to spend time (or remember to spend time) to setup the proper delivery. (If all customers were going to be treated the same… why even have a delivery preference? - I predict the delivery preference will disappear since it is no longer used or respected).

In any event, I understand why AD did this… it’s a business decision which benefits them. For most people with decent Internet bandwidth, downloading is fine. For those with physical delivery needs… they will now have to remember to request it each time from AD.

But don’t try to tell me that customer service didn’t diminish because it did.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread