Network rendering - Error server config file does not exist.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Network rendering - Error server config file does not exist.

I'm in the middle of installing 3ds Max 2014 on my workstation and on 10 render nodes. I'm upgrading from Max 2011.

I'm still working in 2011, and network rendering from there. All the servers connect to the manager and it renders 2011 jobs fine, but I'm getting an error on random servers. 3dsmax adapter error: Error server config file does not exist. I'm submitting from max 2011 on win7 with backburner 2014 installed, not as a service though. The render nodes are all win xp w/ 2011 and 2014 installed, not as a service. I've only installed 2014 on renders 1-7, still have 8-10 to go, but I'm getting the error even on render nodes I've installed 2014 on.

The job eventually completes and everything renders, so it's not a huge issue, but I'm wondering what the deal is.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I though 2014 did not support Windoze XP any longer?
David

www.dustinforensics.com

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Yes, I would like to know the procedure you used to install MAX2014 on XPx64?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I'm sorry, I meant the render nodes are win7.

Last edited by theta2 : 05 May 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Yes, I would like to know the procedure you used to install MAX2014 on XPx64?

I've installed 2014 on our XPx64 machines (7 of them)with no problem - copied the install locally to each machine and ran the install. Didn't install Composite but no problems rendering with 2014.

I did get an error when submitting from 2013 but tried submitting the job from 2014 and it worked fine so haven't spent time trying to solve it as so far 2014 seems faster and slicker..........which I'm very pleased about..

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Mike Truly: Yes, I would like to know the procedure you used to install MAX2014 on XPx64?

Thanks!

Mike, you do know that at some point you will need to upgrade to windoze 7 or 8 (yuk)
David

www.dustinforensics.com

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Hi David,

Yes, eventually it will happen (I have one system with Win7 currently). But I have a perfectly functioning pipeline at the moment based mostly around XPx64 and I have other areas I need to spend the money on so I'm trying to hold off upgrading the farm for a bit longer. And I hate it when software companies restrict my ability to install on whatever OS I like.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #8
I am installing a new 20 node render farm this weekend.
Everything will be Windoze 7.

I'll send you some pictures

David

www.dustinforensics.com

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Well, thought I'd update this. Today everything worked fine, no errors at all. I'm guessing it was becaues some renders still didn't have 2014 installed, and some did, while today 2014 was installed on all the nodes? So the mix of them is what caused it? I have no idea, nothing else changed.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Lagavulin16, just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your render nodes? You have a 10 node server rack at your home? That must be nice. Do you have any pictures of your rig? I'm curious because I'm starting to build a 5 node server.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
David,

Nice! Do send some pics when you get a chance.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Ian31R: Lagavulin16, just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your render nodes? You have a 10 node server rack at your home? That must be nice. Do you have any pictures of your rig? I'm curious because I'm starting to build a 5 node server.

No, it's at our studio, wish it was at my home though! We've always used the BOXX render blades, and recently purchased a block of these. Basically 2 computers sandwiched together, and there's 5 of them that fit across a rack.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: No, it's at our studio, wish it was at my home though! We've always used the BOXX render blades, and recently purchased a block of these. Basically 2 computers sandwiched together, and there's 5 of them that fit across a rack.

Interesting, haven't seen a horizontal rack setup like that before. The one that I'll be slowly building will be a 5 x 2U vertical rack. I'm in the process of building the frame for it.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Mike Truly: And I hate it when software companies restrict my ability to install on whatever OS I like.

There are a lot of very valid reasons this happens. Newer technology gets developed for the OS and this technology never gets updated in the older OS that they discontinued support for.

Having said that, there are users running under XP64, we did not restrict that but it is not supported and there could be possible issues.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Ian31R: Lagavulin16, just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your render nodes? You have a 10 node server rack at your home? That must be nice. Do you have any pictures of your rig? I'm curious because I'm starting to build a 5 node server.

I built a server rack at home around 2008 or so. I bought used IBM 345 model dual xeon servers (and one dual Opteron x64) with at least 1GB ram and the machines range from 2GHz to 2.8GHz. It was a great setup for the time. I often spent around a server $300 so it didn't cost a lot. Now days you can by a 3GHz dual xeon quad IBM server with 32GB RAM for $1,000 which is even cheaper as that's eight physical cores and takes up 75% less space.

I rarely boot my rack anymore at home as the older x32 servers just don't cut it. Also no PCIe slots to support GPU rendering. Now that I look on eBay maybe it's time I get it back online. Two 2U eight core servers would be really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KelComp_RackFront_sm.jpg (85.0 KB, 12 views)
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Thread Closed share thread