Metal Reflections behind Glass Problem !!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Metal Reflections behind Glass Problem !!

I am working on a hand watch
The problem that I have metal text behind the front glass of the watch
Having chrome and stainless-steel materials
They are not shiny
They do not give me correct shiny reflections !!
Why is that ?
What is the solution ?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Do you have anything for the metal to reflect?

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Your text is worthless without a picture.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
You can find in the attached image that the word SEIKO
have no reflections, also the number " 5 "
Also the perimeter of the white " time " indicators !!
Also seconds,minutes,hours hands !! have metal material
Central small hands support
Every thing behind the glass !!

Old 04 April 2013   #5
It probably is reflecting but has nothing interesting to reflect

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by darthviper107: It probably is reflecting but has nothing interesting to reflect

I got it
But off course, there are some causes affecting reflections
First, what you mentioned,briefly the environment
Almost nothing around to reflect !!

Second, number of light sources, with a certain angles
Third, Render settings and quality
I hope to get good results

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Consider also that flat objects - as in, totally flat objects, often look a little duff when it comes to reflections. Go in to your bathroom and stand an inch away from your mirror, and then imagine that mirror was the size of your wrist watch hand - what do you see? It'll most likely be a tiny part of the wall or ceiling, with little in the way of interesting features. Then look at something like a key, or a belt buckle. They look a lot more interesting, even close up? Why? Because their surface is curved, and this allows it to "capture" more of the surrounding scene as a reflection. Now, obviously watch hands are not curved in the same way a belt buckle is. But one thing that can work very well is if you add a cut running vertically down the middle of the hand and raise it ever so slightly from the rest of the hand mesh, so that it forms an incredibly low pyramid shape when viewed from the front. Then simply whack a turbosmooth on the mesh and it'll have an ever so slight curve. See if this helps.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by DanGrover: Consider also that flat objects - as in, totally flat objects, often look a little duff when it comes to reflections. Go in to your bathroom and stand an inch away from your mirror, and then imagine that mirror was the size of your wrist watch hand - what do you see? It'll most likely be a tiny part of the wall or ceiling, with little in the way of interesting features. Then look at something like a key, or a belt buckle. They look a lot more interesting, even close up? Why? Because their surface is curved, and this allows it to "capture" more of the surrounding scene as a reflection. Now, obviously watch hands are not curved in the same way a belt buckle is. But one thing that can work very well is if you add a cut running vertically down the middle of the hand and raise it ever so slightly from the rest of the hand mesh, so that it forms an incredibly low pyramid shape when viewed from the front. Then simply whack a turbosmooth on the mesh and it'll have an ever so slight curve. See if this helps.

I totally agree with you about flat and rounded objects
But I did not understand any thing from your solution
Sorry :(

Old 04 April 2013   #9
I'd checked properties of glass material - it can block reflections by standing in their way. You can try to set properties of glass to not appear in reflections. also, it probably can help if you add subtle bump texture to flat areas - not too strong to visibly distort surface, but enough to add inconsistency to reflections. but flat areas in general are bad like your case for reflections. At least, for static images it is. All metals is like that, even not polished ones: if you don't have interesting environment map - there will be dull reflections and highlights, material will look boring, and you can't change it unless you add something that it can reflect.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Check your reflection/refraction depth in your material settings. If the metallic pieces are reflective when the glass isn't there, then you most likely need to increase the depth value.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
This Image without glass.
The image is clear and sharp
But no noticeable difference in reflections

Old 05 May 2013   #12
The Back of the watch is another big problem !!
This my trial
Materials are : chrome,Stainless,Brushed Steel

Of course there is a big problem with reflections.
I used vray planes with Gradient Ramp in the texture slot
I also tried to use many HDRI and it gets worse !!

I want to get something like this
Any ideas ?!!

Old 05 May 2013   #13
In that photograph, the light sources are way, way, way beyond "1.0" - which is to say, they are brighter than the ~13 stops of dynamic range within the image. So probably the problem is that your reflection cards - the planes with gradiant ramps - just aren't bright enough.

Make a VRay Light (as a plane) and in its texture slot, shove a Softbox map. This is a map that allows you to add a soft edge (though effectively it's just a slightly fancy box gradiant map). Then ramp the brightness of the light well up. You can even have it set to not affect Diffuse lighting if you want, and only have it show up in reflections. Looking at the rest of your watch (ie it's not just the hands), it seems there's very little range or contrast in the surroundings. Nothing in your image is bright white, very little of it is dark black. If you compare that to your reference image, you'll see a big difference.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Originally Posted by DanGrover: In that photograph, the light sources are way, way, way beyond "1.0" - which is to say, they are brighter than the ~13 stops of dynamic range within the image. So probably the problem is that your reflection cards - the planes with gradiant ramps - just aren't bright enough.

Make a VRay Light (as a plane) and in its texture slot, shove a Softbox map. This is a map that allows you to add a soft edge (though effectively it's just a slightly fancy box gradiant map). Then ramp the brightness of the light well up. You can even have it set to not affect Diffuse lighting if you want, and only have it show up in reflections. Looking at the rest of your watch (ie it's not just the hands), it seems there's very little range or contrast in the surroundings. Nothing in your image is bright white, very little of it is dark black. If you compare that to your reference image, you'll see a big difference.

I will try to make new trials taking your notes into consideration.
Although I did nod understand what you meant by " 13 stops of dynamic range "
I googled it and found nothing !!

I made other shots to get rid of the reflection Problems.
Hope you like it

You can find Full resolution images here
http://elshipli.blogspot.com/2013/0...orts-watch.html

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread