3ds max Vray script idea

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
3ds max Vray script idea

hey guys
well is there is any script or plugin in 3ds max
that can makes Vray or any render engine just
to calculate all the light sources in the scene and only the appeared geometry to the camera and not the back geometry that they are not in the shot
to make the render more faster ????

Old 04 April 2013   #2
vray and other engines do that already, and more than you probably can imagine right now..
if you like to know more start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_space_partitioning

Old 04 April 2013   #3
then how when i hide the objects back to camera and in some hidden places
the calculations became faster if as u said the engines do that already ??

Old 04 April 2013   #4
That may be because the object still has some contribution to the render or at least there's a chance it will. Also, when having lots of objects, just sorting them to see if they should be considered takes a bit of time. A script doing the same thing would take some time too.

Of course, the calculations done are to ensure that under all circumstances you get the expected result. In specific cases there might be huge optimizations to be made, but they can't be predicted for the general case.

For example say you have a huge green bush, with a really interesting shader, say, having some SSS.
The bush is behind a wall so it's totally invisible. It doesn't even appear in any reflection. But if you look closely, the green bush generates a bit of green cast in the GI solution. The renderer has to know this. Also, objects invisible to the camera might cast shadows, or otherwise influence the final result. So as you can imagine, the algorithms involved are quite complicated.

For this specific case, say you'd think that the green cast to the GI created by the bush is not something you really need, and you feel that it would be better if the bush weren't calculated at all. But the renderer doesn't know that, it has to think for the general case. Also, what if you plan to make an animation, and at one point the bush pops into frame? The GI contribution will suddenly appear, creating a glitch in the animation.

To sum this up, rendrerers are already heavily optimized for the general case. But if you have some specific cases, you would have to manually make changes. Unless these cases are very well specified, it would be either impossible or inefficient to program a script. For example, how would a script know that you don't need that green bush to influence your GI?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
@A-sam6 - you are right but Rockin described it much more nicely than me..
i also think that no script can do what the engine-optimization doesnt already. - only your brain can - by hiding stuff

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by damjan: @A-sam6 - you are right but Rockin described it much more nicely than me..
i also think that no script can do what the engine-optimization doesnt already. - only your brain can - by hiding stuff

I think this is the key - the render engine can only make certain assumptions before it starts messing up the render. A script would be no different (but with far less information on which to make its calculations).

One example is Forestpack Pro, the foliage plugin. You can have it cull the trees outside of a certain distance or cone around the camera, but there have been a number of times back when I used to use it when I would maybe tweak the sun light position and bam, suddenly I have shadows that disappear as they reach the edge of the frame. The problem is that the trees were set to disappear outside of the camera view (with a 20 degree cushion, say) but not that the shadows had lengthened, this culling was visible in the render. Without actually DOING a render, you don't really have a way of knowing that this will be the case. This gets even more complicated when it comes to reflections (especially glossy/bumpy reflections, whereby sometimes things can end up in a reflection that you didn't think likely!) and even more so with GI. Like A-sam6 said, I think this is one your brain needs to do!

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread