command to intrude? (extrude opposite)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
command to intrude? (extrude opposite)

I would like to know if there is a possibility to extrude in the inside of the object?
If I just use the extrude command and insert a negative value this unwanted thing will happen:

I know there are plenty other ways to do this..like creating the smaller part first and then extrude to get the bigger volumes in one side and the other.. or creating 3 boxes .. or using inset for a very small value and then resizing the resulted polygons. But I would like to know how to do it the way similar to extrude.

04 April 2013
I think theoretically no. the end result would contain overlapping opposite sides.

04 April 2013
If you wanted a pattern like that you could use Connect, but that would not be exactly the values you would want since the positioning is based on a percentage rather than a distance.

04 April 2013
darthviper107, i'm not sure what do you mean ..

04 April 2013
I'm assuming that you want something like a box where you extruded the top and bottom first and then extruded the sides--which gives the result of the image on the right. But you're starting out with the larger mesh and want to recreate the smaller mesh. If you're looking for a pattern like that image, you could use Connect on the top and side rings and it would do that. But, that would only work on a box shape.

04 April 2013
Not sure what you're trying to do here as the first image already shows zero width polys which is usually bad, but it looks like you're looking for Inset.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by robinb: Not sure what you're trying to do here as the first image already shows zero width polys which is usually bad, but it looks like you're looking for Inset.

no, there are actually 2 red lines on each side of the prism, but they are very close... I want to make something like this:

I was thinking of this as some sort of extrude on the inside... extrude command does work if modifing a single face but there appear problems when I try to apply extrude (on the inside) on more adjacent faces :( So I thought someone else knows something else (except creating 3 boxes)

04 April 2013
Now I'm confused. Extrude already works that way if you set it to a negative value. As long as it's set to Local mode rather than Group

04 April 2013
Ah I think I see. You may have "by Polygon" selected in the extrude options. You want "local normal".

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by robinb: Ah I think I see. You may have "by Polygon" selected in the extrude options. You want "local normal".

thank you, it worked

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread