Enabling anim layers deletes keyframes in constrained objects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Enabling anim layers deletes keyframes in constrained objects

Like the title says, I'm having a problem where I have several constrained objects in a scene
(link constraints, mostly), and when I want to adjust the timing of the animation by enabling animation layers, all postition and rotation keyframes (and their controllers) disappear.
I don't *think* that's supposed to happen, but I've never really used it before like this, so I don't really know if I'm missing something dumb.

If you want to know, here's the scene setup:
I have a character that's supposed to walk up to a box on a table, move the box, fiddle with a knob on it, and then open the lid of the box. The character is a custom rig, with IK/FK and such.

The box is link constrained to a dummy object. I move the dummy object to move and turn the box. So far so good, I can move and rotate the dummy, the box follows, and then that goes in the base layer.
The lid has a hinge, that's link constrained to the box. When I enable anim layers, the position/rotation controllers disappear, and that happens to everything else after this, too.
The lid is link constrained to the hinge (could have been one object, in hindsight, but I was in a hurry)
The knob is link constrained to the lid.
The character has IK on the hands, those're Link Constrained to the knob.
I added LookAt constraints to the eyes, those are constrained to the lid of the box.

I have to adjust the timing of this animation, to slow it down and add pauses and such, and layers are perfect for that.
Is there any way straightforward way to enable animation layers without it breaking, or do I have to go through the hassle of manually re-timing every keyframe, rather than the whole animation?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Well, I didn't figure out what caused it, and I didn't figure out how to fix it, but I figured out how to go around it; by re-scaling the timeline.
A *lot*.
It's a mess down there, now.

Anyway, I still think it's weird that enabling animation layers would delete controller and keys from constrained objects, so if anyone does know what causes it, I'd be curious to find out.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread