Model Traced from AutoCAD shape not displaying

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Model Traced from AutoCAD shape not displaying

I brought in a pool shape from a CAD file and used that one shape to trace out all the elements needed to build the following model. However, I had a lot of issues getting the CAD file and Max to play nice with each other. Anytime I brought the CAD shape in it was all wonky and not smooth, or the curves were totally off. Both are 2013.

I do not know CAD and am fairly new to Max (self taught over the past few months) I am assuming that something CAD file has made my Max file very hard to work with - sometimes my model completely disappears, parts of the model will not render even though it shows in the file, or adding is floating pieces of material in places its not supposed to be.

I've made due with this particular model, but would like any advice on how to avoid having these troubles in the future. I've included images of some of the 'floating' material (I didn't save out any examples of my other issues)

Image -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/bykmntvwc69lz6p/Render2.jpg

04 April 2013
Try importing hatches as flat meshes and use the Shell modifier to make them solid. This often works better than trying to extrude CAD splines. Those are often broken, they have double segments, open edges, etc, because of user error. People in CAD don't care about this things because it doesn't affect them as much.

04 April 2013
It sounds like the cad is very far away from 0,0,0 (wonky shapes and disappearing models). Did you start with the civil drawings as your base?
We usually end up redrawing some of the splines in ACAD so we don't have to worry about trying to fix lazy drafting. The overkill and flatten commands in ACAD can be helpful to do some quick drawing cleanup.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by gfh: It sounds like the cad is very far away from 0,0,0 (wonky shapes and disappearing models).

I think moving everything to 0,0,0 might have fixed my problem, Thank you so much!

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread