Rendering large model in interior warehouse environment with iRay

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Rendering large model in interior warehouse environment with iRay

Hello! I have a project that I need to start rendering on very soon. The model is of a offshore piping module that I am trying to place in a warehouse/industrial setting. I have a good video card and plan to render the model with iray as mental ray is taking about 3 hours/frame.

Exterior mental ray render with daylight as light source. About 1/2 hour per frame.

I am shooting for this kind of a render:

Here are my observations about trying to create a warehouse/studio light environment:

Scene setup: Very large. The model is about 3M polygons @ 380'x450'x200' (most of which are reflective pipes) and the warehouse is 800'x2500'x450'.

Video card: Nvidia Titan: 2500 cuda @ 6GB. Scene displays roughly 2.5GB - 3.5GB at render time.

1) Warehouse lights. I have tried placing photometric disc lights at the various overhead light positions and turning on "display in render" option. The render looks OK but the disc light sources look very washed out on the screen.

2) Self illuminated materials: I have also tried removing the lights and just using a self illuminated material for the bulb and inner lamp. This seems to be very taxing for iray as render time increased substantially and I still wind up with a grainy image.

3) Best result so far: I create 3 lights (1 key/2 filler) and make their rectangles/discs very large and renderable. Render times for good renders decrease substantially but the camera picks up the gigantic white shapes of the light shape. Is there a way I can make those light shapes visible to reflections but not render the actual shapes (I feel like that is a dumb question)? Or, is it commonplace to move the studio lights around so the camera doesn't pick up the shapes?

3) Using HDRI as a scene environment doesn't seem to help in an enclosed space (as it shouldn't). Even when I attach the HDR to the environment slot in the A&D material it doesn't seem to work. I thought to try and create the indoor environment, render to HDR and use that for the scene environment slot, render passes and then comp them.

4) Strait up mental ray is taking between 3-4 hours/frame and although I like the result, I just don't have that kind of time budget.

Can anyone help get me pointed in the right direction on setting up awesome interior light for a large model inside a much larger facility?

THANK YOU SO KINDLY IN ADVANCE!

04 April 2013
I don't know that iRay will be faster for you, if you need a large render it could end up taking a lot longer than Mental Ray to get a clean image.

As for lights, I think technically using the visible photometric lights should be fine, I don't know why that wouldn't be working correctly.

To speed up iRay you might try lowering the number of bounces in the iRay setting, by default it's set to Unlimited, which I don't think is necessary, you can set that to I think a minimum of 4 or so and I think that can help.

04 April 2013
I would imagine the interior render will take much longer than the exterior. Iray exterior stuff is pretty quick, but in my experience it's much slower on interior shots without an open window for some daylight to seep in. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out though.

04 April 2013
Vray?
What is the res of your images?

04 April 2013
Sorry, this was about the best I got so far. Mental ray with 3 shape lights and no warehouse environment. 3 hours +-

and

and I liked this teapot test...

working on the warehouse lighting now.

04 April 2013
Have you tried to melt your computer yet, by matching the 100-odd photometric lights from the ref?

04 April 2013
Not melted, but close!!

I gave up on iRay and have gone back to the cloud (amazon). No warehouse yet, just a few studio(ish) shots.

resolution:1080p
passes: spec/AO
format: 32bit tga
time: 2 hours/frame +-

05 May 2013
OK so more on this. I got couple of iRay renders in. Not bad for 11 mins/per. Still a bit grainy but not much you can do there. Enclosed spaces take far longer than open spaces.

light source from self illuminated materials only

51 PM lights + mrsky

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread