Please Help 3dsmax 2013 64bit, 2010, 2011 64bit & 32bit crash before starting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
dxdiag lists an "Air Display Graphics Adapter". This seems to be some kind of virtual display driver. This could be the Problem.

If this device is listed in the Device Manager (Winkey and Pause) then try to disable it and restart the computer.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: After you did a clean install of your OS, only with all needed drivers and software -> the first thing you do is make bootable image copy of your harddrive, burn it on DVD's and make sure you use a seperate drive for documents (not your system drive).

That is really good advice which others would be wise to heed. I've found keeping a spare PC around for emergencies can be invaluable too, the bonus being you can always use it for DR or for those times when your main PC is too busy to use. One should also endeavor to not use a PC experiencing technical difficulties lest you make the problem worse.

I wised up and purchased a good backup program and external hard drive. At the beginning of every work week my PC automatically does a full partition backup of the system drive. These are saved to a high capacity internal HDD used for all documents, along with incremental backups done daily. At the end of the week that big storage drive is mirrored to an eSATA drive, while at the end of every month a bit for bit binary comparison is done between them. If there is ever a problem, an e-mail is automatically generated letting me know.

The investment was relatively minimal and well worth the end result. There are certainly better (usually more expensive) backup schemes than mine, but it has worked well over the past eight years and more than pays for itself. A problem like the one wrreisen is having would involve simply restoring the partition backup from that morning for example. Down time is minimal while peace of mind is practically infinite.

Old 04 April 2013   #18
Thanks for all your help.

What worked in the end was doing an upgrade install of Windows 7 sp1 on top of my existing install of that very same OS.

Tried max 2013. Still crashing at same point.

uninstalled the new 311.50-quadro-tesla-grid-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe driver I was trying.

Restarted with no graphics card driver. Tried max 2013 using the change graphics mode switching to open gl. Didn't crash. Started fine!

Thought I try a different graphics card driver so tried 305.93-quadro-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe (Read that someone with Gforce had trouble with crashes with 310 driver and fixed it with a 306 driver). Tried max 2013. It still works with Nitrous too. Phew!

I didn't have any System Restore points. Not clever. Have just made one. Yes could do with being cleverer with backups. If you have a bootable OS on DVDs you can reinstate it from there? I have got used to having 1 1tb RAID 0 partition on this laptop 2x 512gb drives. I just make regular backups to external harddrives with hobocopy.

Thanks again.

Last edited by wrreisen : 04 April 2013 at 11:05 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #19
I would be interested to see if you would try renaming the autodesk max wrapper. Just curious to see if it changes anything for you.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=6&t=1103605

As my problem started with a computer freezing and I had to do a hard reboot. Max wont run now as well. Though I wasn't getting any error messages and the Direct x tool ran fine on my machine.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
Hi renaming Autodesk.Max.Wrappers.dll to Autodesk.Max.Wrappers.olddllold changed nothing on my now working installation of max.

Would try reinstalling Windows 7 sp1 via this method (keeping your programs)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ir-install.html

using the iso burned from here:
http://www.w7forums.com/official-wi...ads-t12325.html

Try max then?

Try uninstalling graphics card driver. Restart then try max in starting in Change graphics mode then swapping to open gl. Does it work without driver? If on Nvidia card try a driver around 305 or 306 version from the Nvidia archive.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx

Hope that helps.

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread