Mental Ray Bottleneck?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Mental Ray Bottleneck?

I need to render a 6000x6000 image and am testing with 1000x1000 first. I'm still using max 8.2 on a dual xeon workstation with hyperthreading which renders the image at about 7:36 (m:ss).

I have a small render farm I'd like to use to help with the image render using dbr. I have 3 computes setup so far with dual core opterons (170's). The problem is when I add the third computer the buckets for the render nodes hang at the start of rendering and proceed slowly increasing render time. When I add one or two additional render nodes, the buckets follow the workstation's bucket quickly and I get faster render times...with 2 nodes, the test image renders at about 4:29 seconds, but with the 3rd computer added the render time goes up to 5:36.

I stripped everything down on all these computers thus far to try an simplify debugging. I formatted each hard drive for the workstation and 3 render nodes, loaded fresh installs of OS's, xp pro sp2 on the workstation and win2k sp4 on the nodes, then only 3ds max 8.2 on all. I even tried changing from a switch box to a different new router...all NICs are 1 gigabit speed, cables are cat5e and I have no firewalls running...I disabled the firewall in xp pro and I don't think win2k has one.

Basically everything is stripped down and clean...but I'm still getting a bottleneck. The only error I'm getting in the mr message window is the following:

PAR 0.0 error 021311: mi_msg_send for non-up connection
PAR 0.0 error 021017: msg send to host 3 failed
PAR 0.0 error 021017: msg send to host 2 failed
PAR 0.0 error 021017: msg send to host 1 failed

over and over again.

Can anyone offer an idea for me to try? I've tried looking all this up but haven't found a solution...I'm stuck. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
OK, I figured it out...had to disable windows firewall to get it to work.

What firewalls do you all use?

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Me too once have completely disabled it on both machines, just because I can't get it to run anyways, but executables can be individually excluded from firewall.
The reason I couldn't achieve once was because I mixed up local and public network settings. My home network became public because of a newly added network, and if you've had a experience with changing network types, you know it's a real pain in the a** to get a public network back to home.

Right now my raysat server executables are added to firewall exclusion list. It works that way.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread