Bug: canīt install 3dsmax2014 on WINXP 64 Bit!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Quote: Have you considered transitioning the farm to EC2?

Ummm No
Could you tell me more please ! Is this the Amazon thingy ? Do you use it and how, do the costs compare with purchasing servers and running then yourself.
Ta. To be honest our render farm is small but cost 25k at the time and the thought of updating it does worry me.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by hotknife: Ummm No
Could you tell me more please ! Is this the Amazon thingy ? Do you use it and how, do the costs compare with purchasing servers and running then yourself.
Ta. To be honest our render farm is small but cost 25k at the time and the thought of updating it does worry me.

Yep it's the Amazon thingy I use it a lot, cost wise it's brilliant:

When rendering:
$0.45 per hour for the manager node (normal price) +
$0.21 per 8-core/8GB machine an hour.. (overcapacity 'spot' price. Spot instances can come and go anytime but in reality I've never seen the plug being pulled on one of them but if that happens it doesn't matter much, you can always fallback on the normal ones but that will cost a bit more)

A few weeks ago I had 30 8-core instances running for a grand total of just under 7$ an hour.. it's a steal (see attached image, btw why is there such a small allowed size for attached images here?)

Cost when not in use: about 4$ a month for storing the AMI diskimage so unlike a real hardware farm it doesn't loose value/money when it's doing nothing.

It's quite some work to setup, mostly to get a VPN connection from LAN into the cloud, but when that's done it quite easy and you can just use backburner like you normally would.

The wierd economic of it all is that is cost the same to let 1 instance render for 50 hours or let 50 instances render for 1 hour so it scales quite nicely! And no need for windows licences.. it's included in the hourly price.

One drawback it network speed.. it's between 0.5 an 1MB a second to get data in/out but with some clever asset managing scripts that replaces the 'send maps' options it isn't really a problem, just something to take into account. And you might run into 'do not take off premisses' NDA legal thing you have to sort out with customers.

But overall it has given a big boost to my business, I can take on projects I couldn't do before and I can deliver results/iterations much faster for costs that are almost insignificant compared to the whole project cost. And knowing exactly how much it cost to render things makes it easier to take into account when giving a quote for a project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ec2_fun.jpg (45.4 KB, 37 views)

04 April 2013
Hi Guys,

Thanks for help... ok i have Reboot, WinpXP 64 Bit, Framework 4, the same itīs will not install. I am download now the Trail Version again and hope its work. If not... i think my WinXP is damaged.

mfg
hot chip

04 April 2013
It may well just not work. Dave said that it worked during the beta, but it's entirely possible that the version that's shipped is either a slightly different version to the beta, or otherwise a "locked up" version because, as others have said, they don't want to/can't support a 12 year old operating system. They don't really need to worry about such concerns during the beta.

04 April 2013
Cheers J, That look really interesting thanks for the info.

I'm assuming Amazon haven't set this up specifically for Max users - so is that where the "AMI diskimage" is used. How does this work, do you get a number of servers and install your copy of Max on them ? That's the but that I'm not getting at the mo'.
Sorry this is all new to me.

thorsten:

I've just installed 2014 on an xp 64 bit machine SP2. We haven't upgraded them since we got them - if it works don't mess with it.
One thing I did do was uncheck the "Install Composite" option so maybe this is worth trying before you go further.

04 April 2013
thanks hot knife, if start setup.exe come this error. I see only this error message, but i hope the next Download work, or i must completly install the system with win7.

edit: i have test the new donwload, the same error.

the MID.txt file say to me only Win7/Win8:

MID: 3dsMaxDesign_2014_64bit_ENGLISH_FRENCH_GERMAN_JAPA NESE_KOREAN_SIMPLIFIEDCHINESE_420_02
Product Name: Autodesk 3dsMaxDesign 2014
Platform: Win7/Win8

OK... this computer is a present for my mother.

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 04 April 2013 at 10:42 AM.

04 April 2013
[QUOTE=hotknife]Cheers J, That look really interesting thanks for the info.

I'm assuming Amazon haven't set this up specifically for Max users - so is that where the "AMI diskimage" is used. How does this work, do you get a number of servers and install your copy of Max on them ? That's the but that I'm not getting at the mo'.
Sorry this is all new to me.
[/QUOTE ]

You can get a blank windows server 2008 for example, you remote desktop onto that and install max, plugins etc.. once you are done you can save that as a custom AMI. You can then start multiple instances of that AMI to create a farm. I have a small script on it that configures backburner on boot for each instance so each gets a unique name etc.

So you only have to maintain one AMI, which is as simple as starting it, modify it, then save it as a new AMI.

Check the getting started tutorials on amazon's ec2 page.

The trick is to start a VPC (=lan in the cloud) that contains all the instances and use a VPN to connect the one running the manager to your LAN

05 May 2013
Hi Guys,

i have found the Bug from my Win XP64 Bit. I must only copy the zlib.dll from Autodesk_3ds_Max_Design_2014_EFGJKS_Win_64bit_dlm\ Setup directory to C:\Windows\SysWOW64

now i can install the trail version.

mfg
hot chip

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread