Mental Ray render elements adding significant render time

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Mental Ray render elements adding significant render time

I have a very basic test scene here. A sphere with a AD material "Brushed Metal" template, a daylight system, and a plane with a MatteShadow. With no passes, the render takes 15 seconds. I add a Reflection, Shadow, and Specular pass and the render time jumps to 26 seconds. That is almost twice as slow. I am not sure why but I was always under the impression those passes were being calculated anyway and you could get them for "free".

Does anyone know how to reduce that render time?

04 April 2013
They should be but MR is shoehorned into max in such a way it complicates rendere passes. Zap could probably explain in more detail but it is know behavior and it has always been like this unfortunately.

04 April 2013
Thank you, Jonathan. Is the work-around then to create a version of the scene per pass or is it six of one, half a dozen of the other?

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by em3: I am not sure why but I was always under the impression those passes were being calculated anyway and you could get them for "free".

I've read somewhere (nvidias mental ray forum, i think) that this is some sort of "urban legend" that's simply not true. Everything that is rendered must be antialiased, and if you have 4 rendered images instead of one, it will take longer (regardless which renderer).

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by blank000: I've read somewhere (nvidias mental ray forum, i think) that this is some sort of "urban legend" that's simply not true. Everything that is rendered must be antialiased, and if you have 4 rendered images instead of one, it will take longer (regardless which renderer).

So really what it means is: It's free but only after you've paid for it. Which actually makes a lot of sense.

04 April 2013
a big problem is, i canīt say a special Passes, for example Raw-Reflection, without render the Beauty Rendering. I think with must NVIDIA or Autodesk fix.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread