Well it's available for download on subscription - 2014 that is.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Well it's available for download on subscription - 2014 that is.

Go get it kids.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Little worrying that every image shown during the install seems to be architectural in essence.....
Is this the direction the software is being forced down ? That will be a shame...

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Trial is also available:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/au...-max/free-trial

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by hotknife: Little worrying that every image shown during the install seems to be architectural in essence.....
Is this the direction the software is being forced down ? That will be a shame...

Even they (autodesk) deny it, it surely seems obvious for quite some time now they are aiming for that direction, yes.

So, how's 2014?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by hotknife: Little worrying that every image shown during the install seems to be architectural in essence.....

Every one? That can't be right

Old 04 April 2013   #6

In this case this is totally not true ( splash image..) . Compared to the new Maya one, the Max 2014 screen is pretty "advanced". Maya essentially got the same style, but only with one single layer of nurbs surface. Pretty weak IMHO

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Shoot. Not seeing it here. Anxious to test performance improvements...

Old 04 April 2013   #8
I have some positive news about deforming mesh performance.
I'm preparing video and data to post.

In summary, deforming mesh performace of 2014 Nitrous is better than any version of max with any driver. I tested against max 9/2009/2012/2013.
Nitrous is x10 faster than DirectX driver for point cache playback.

Max team also multi-threaded many "heavy" modifiers. Skin/SkinWrap/Vol.Select/Shell is a lot faster than before.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by gandhics: I have some positive news about deforming mesh performance.
I'm preparing video and data to post.

In summary, deforming mesh performace of 2014 Nitrous is better than any version of max with any driver. I tested against max 9/2009/2012/2013.
Nitrous is x10 faster than DirectX driver for point cache playback.

Max team also multi-threaded many "heavy" modifiers. Skin/SkinWrap/Vol.Select/Shell is a lot faster than before.

Nice, is soft selection also faster on dense meshes?

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Great news gandhics!

I've got a couple of scenes I want to test. Downloading now.

Old 04 April 2013   #11

It is very hard for vfx company to give any images to Autodesk because of clearance.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
That's true - but it's clear that even if they aren't headed toward 100% archviz, they are definitely spending so much effort on it that Max is really lagging in other entertainment areas.

My download link still isn't there. SO glad I paid to renew a subscription so that on the day of the release I can download the TRIAL version. Mixed feelings - I can't get Max 2014, but it has basically nothing exciting for me, so it's okay.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Render quality is much better by default. Nitrous is noticably faster. More complex scenes are created without even noticing. Viewport render quality is even much better. Save speed is improved. More responsive during render and working. No mouse hangs

I've had a few crashes. Even crashes have no lags Directly : send error report

Enhanced menus are nice. But I can't keep the menu on in the next opening. Populate feature is nice but has to be improved for quality. Hard to create ramps precisely.

Overall the program seems more reliable. That's great!

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Byteman3D:
I've had a few crashes. Even crashes have no lags Directly : send error report

Overall the program seems more reliable. That's great!

Could you share the steps to produce the crashes you mention? My download isn't ready yet but I am curious what those might be so I can 1) crash and submit reports right away and then avoid those steps. Unless it's using a 10 million poly mesh and apply a high meshsmooth.... of course... then it's skip step 1

Developer of:
Wall Worm Tools for the Source Game Engine
CorVex Level Design Plugin

Old 04 April 2013   #15
As I tried to imply, these were immediate crashes. Actually I was not over a certain job to speak about, but the scene was complex. About 500 Mb's. All that size was about some trees just instanced. About 300 or more. I just wanted to test if it works. There were also about 50 trees used as Mray proxy objects.

When I realized that it was taking seriously longer time to render with directly instanced trees, I converted those trees to proxies also. I recommend proxies with trees. Very efficient, not only during manipulation but during render, too.

I have appearance problems. Enhanced menus don't appear on new boot. I have to reset. And just now undo list is completely black. I have to move the mouse on the items to make them appear. It may be a Windows issue as well. But I always had problems with opening Max customized.

Thread Closed share thread