I can't handle the smooth modifiers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
I can't handle the smooth modifiers

Hi, people !
I am facing issues with these smoothing modifiers.. I can't smooth properly neither a simple shape :( Nor turbosmooth, nor meshsmooth do the job well... I just want to round the edges a little bit, but after i select turbosmooth.. I get this sort of thing:

One more thing, is it possible in 3ds max to make a gradually smooth from top of the shape to it's bottom? I mean... not applying the same smooth level to all the shape
Thank you

Old 04 April 2013   #2
As shown in the attachment, connect the two sides as shown in red. You need those connecting lines and I have no idea why you don't have them.
Then select the blue edges with a loop tool and make sure that they are creased. You can skip the corners if you want them smooth. then smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t.jpg (58.8 KB, 17 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Deleting everything but one side and using a shell modifier on the remaining surface would probably be faster than connecting the edges manually.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
i can't seem to connect the edges that way because the left side is made of more segments and the right side is only one edge... but i get the point, I understand that I didn't had to tesselate one face, and I had to connect all the edges instead... thank you

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Just do as scrimski said: select all the front faces we can see in the image>ctrl+I to invert the selesction>delete. Now apply the shell modifier to the remaining planar shape.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread