Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
ksternschein3
portfolio
Kevin Sternschein
3D Artist
Orlando, USA

Rendering Issues with Mental Ray

Recently while I've been trying to render a scene with Mental Ray, I've noticed that whenever I stop the render, then continue from that point a little later on, the lighting seems to be different. While I haven't changed anything in the file, it still changes from the last rendered frame to the most recent. At first I thought it may be a result of a cache in 3DS max or something, but I later disabled that under the final gather render options. In addition to the lights changing, it seems like one light that is linked to a moving part isn't actually moving with the rest of the object, and so the glow from it stays behind. Below are two rendered frames, the first was done on one pass, then I paused the render, and continued later on (without changing the file), and there are significant differences in the shadows/lighting. Any ideas as to what this could be? I'm at a loss.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez
West Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Aikku
To me, it looks like your light distribution is "Sphere" instead of "Diffuse".
A spherical light distribution distributes the light in a sphere, as the name implies.
A diffuse light distribution will distribute the light out in the local direction of the light source, and only forward, unlike a spherical distribution.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
ksternschein3
portfolio
Kevin Sternschein
3D Artist
Orlando, USA

Solution

After sifting through more of the settings for final gather, I uncovered several more areas where there are options for various caches. The very last tab under the Indirect Illumination Tab is called Reuse (FG and GI Disk Caching). In this area there was an option to chose a mode that is suited for Walkthroughs/Stills and a mode for Animated Objects. My lights now seem to all render properly and don't change if a stop a render and pick it up again later.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread