Unfold UV Strip Tool Changed?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Unfold UV Strip Tool Changed?

Okay so I'm having trouble using the Unfold strip from loop, with uvw unwrap, in max 2013. The problem is that it automatically unwraps the entire loop of the selected edges, instead of just unfolding selected edge strips, causing unwanted unwraps on other parts of my model.

If I remember correctly, back in max 2012, I remember being able to cut my model into separate strips, by selecting an edge, and unfolding just that edge ring, making unwrapping pretty easy, But now, if I want a single edge strip unwrapped, or unfold only half of a cylinder, I have to select that strip of faces, pelt map it, and straighten the edges, or actually break my model into separate elements, and unfold that way.

Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere, but if this is supposed be how this tool works now, then, well, then that really sucks.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Nevermind, I guess I was wrong, its the same in 2012, so it probably was always like that. I haven't used unwrap for a while now, so I probably forgot.

I guess what I would be looking for is just a "Unfold Strip" tool, which you could probably make a script for. You could probably have the script convert the edges to pelt seams, select the edge ring from the edge selection, then convert to faces, then break the face selection, and use Straighten Selection.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Yeah it's like that in 2012 too. Seems to terminate the strip at random points. Not very useful.

You're probably best off detaching the polys, unfold strip them then re-attach. Not a great workflow, but it's the only way I've found to do it.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by robinb: Yeah it's like that in 2012 too. Seems to terminate the strip at random points. Not very useful.

Exactly. Actually I just finished a function to unfold multiple edge strips from the current edge selection. Its not perfect, but it seems to be a lot faster than detaching and unfolding. Its mainly the outer edges that get offset weird after straightening, but can easily be moved back into place. I had to straighten twice the best result. Here's an example - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...foldstrips.jpg/

Here's the function with macroscript -

fn UnfoldStripEdgeUV Obj:selection[1] Sel: = 
     (
     	if (Obj != undefined) do
     	(
     		select #(Obj) -- Select node
     		if (classof (modPanel.getCurrentObject()) as string == "Unwrap_UVW") do
     		(
     			if (Sel == unsupplied) do Sel = (modPanel.getCurrentObject()).getSelectedEdges() as bitarray -- Get edge Selection
     			if (Sel != undefined) do
     			(
     				------------------------------------ Get Operations
     				local CurrentMod = (modPanel.getCurrentObject())  -- Get current modifier selection
     				------------------------------------ Get Operations
     				local EdgeSel = #{} -- Initial selection
     				local SeamSel = #{} -- Initial selection
     				local FaceSel = #{} -- Initial selection
     				local CurrentEdgeSel = CurrentMod.getSelectedEdges() -- Get current edge selection
     				local CurrentSeamSel = CurrentMod.getPeltSelectedSeamsByNode Obj -- Get current edge selection
     				local CurrentFaceSel = CurrentMod.getSelectedFaces() -- Get current face selection
     				if (subobjectlevel != 2) do subobjectlevel = 2 -- Set sub-object level to 2
     				EdgeSel = CurrentEdgeSel -- Get edge selection
     				for i in EdgeSel do 
     				(
     					CurrentMod.selectEdges #{i} -- Select first edge
     					CurrentMod.geomEdgeRingSelection() -- Select edge ring
     					local EdgeRingSel = CurrentMod.getSelectedEdges() -- Add face selection to bitarray
     					CurrentMod.edgeToFaceSelect() -- Convert edges to faces
     					EdgeSel -= EdgeRingSel -- Subtract edge selection from bitarray
     					FaceSel += CurrentMod.getSelectedFaces() -- Add face selection to bitarray
     					if (EdgeSel.numberset == 0) then exit -- Exit loop if no edges are left
     				) -- Loop through edge selection, getting faces from edge rings, allowing edge strips that are separated by only one strip to be separate
     				subobjectlevel = 2 -- Set sub-object level to 2
     				CurrentMod.selectedges CurrentEdgeSel -- Select edges
     				CurrentMod.peltEdgeSelToSeam true
     				CurrentMod.selectFaces FaceSel -- Select faces
     				subobjectlevel = 3 -- Set sub-object level to 3
     				CurrentMod.LSCMReset() -- Reset faces
     				CurrentMod.Straighten() -- Straighten faces
     				CurrentMod.LSCMInteractive true -- Peel faces
     				CurrentMod.Straighten() -- Straighten faces
     				CurrentMod.setPeltSelectedSeamsByNode CurrentSeamSel Obj -- Reselect seams
     				CurrentMod.selectFaces CurrentFaceSel -- Reselect faces
     				subobjectlevel = 2 -- Reset sub-object level back to 2
     			) -- If selection exists
     		) -- If current modifier is unwrap
     	) -- If object exists
     )
     macroScript Unfold_Edge_Strips Category:"UV Extras" toolTip:"Unfold Edge Strips"
     (
     	UnfoldStripEdgeUV()
     )

I plan on somehow making this work for vertex and face selections as well, since you can do ring selections with them also.

Last edited by Ian31R : 04 April 2013 at 01:14 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Cool. If you make that into a full script or tool to release, I'll be sure to check it out.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread