Survey for non-entertainment users

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Survey for non-entertainment users

Help us plan the future of 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design for non-entertainment projects. We’re looking for people either using or interested in using 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design to fill out a short, multiple-choice survey. There are no wrong answers and you’ll get bonus karma points for filling it out.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W6RPP6B

Note: we don’t have an entertainment-only version of this survey ready yet, please be patient

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Edit: removed. Not adding anything to discussion.

Last edited by Diffus3d : 04 April 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
It looks like you do Games? You weren't really supposed to take the survey, so I'm not surprised it doesn't align to your needs. Those that do non-entertainment speak very positively about the list in their feedback so far.

In general though, I'd be surprised if any max user couldn't find any of their top 3 desires on that list. It's not like we picked only super-selective CAD things.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Edit: removed. Not adding anything to discussion.

Last edited by Diffus3d : 04 April 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thanks for sharing your concerns. I'd like to hear your experience with max 2014. Maybe we'll have tackled some of your concerns, but certainly not all of them.

We definitely have things we want to improve, and I know we have a very motivated development team. I don't get involved in the day-to-day anymore, but Frank is giving good direction. It will take time, as these things always do.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
I apologize. I am not trying to be a jerk and I think I can often come across that way. Ken, I think you are wonderful and the things you do are great, and I dont know anyone that could do them better. I really appreciate you and the time you take in these forums. Please note my ire is with the app, and not at all with you.

I respect you fully and wish you the best. Again, I apologize if I was a pain. Thank you for all you do.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Well, it's nice to have at least one fan out there, so thanks for speaking up. Makes a lot of difference to me.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Hi Ken,

I guess the frustration Regarding too 3ds max generaly is all about speed and bug issues.
I am working with LARGE 3D models for the offshore/Maritime industry all the time and the only thing that bothers me on a daily basis is the speed in the viewport. For example: When we import general arrangement drawings from AutoCAD (lots of Splines/Shapes) to use as "blueprints" to make 3d model from, the viewport speed is very slow.
I Have not tested 3DS Max 2014 yet, but the people i have talked to says it is faster than 2012.

I know you and you crew at Autodesk do you best to make it less buggy and more stable, so you can consider me as a Fan too

Best regards,

Raymond H.Ingebretsen

Last edited by tassel : 04 April 2013 at 10:52 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
I hope your experience with 2014 is a lot better. If I remember right, we tackled some of the performance issues you're complaining about. Certainly let me know if we didn't!

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Hey Ken! Nice to see you around here! Count me as your fan also! And I bet there are a lot more around (they're just too busy or too shy to show up )

Cheers!

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Thanks for the feedback. I hope to be more present, but it is a very different role than before and I don't want to confuse people who might see me as the PM when I'm not.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
2014 is definitely better. Frankly, in the latest architectural still frame project, I didn't even notice that the file size grew up to 400 mb. And I'd been displaying the viewport in realistic mode with shadows and stuff.
I've got a few sudden crashes while working which didn't cause much trouble because of the frequent and "working" autosave feature.
Hiding objects was not helping performance issues on some scenes, even compete deletion. That problem seems to be solved, too. This does not only improve performance, but confidence to move on working.

I want to get used to the new enhanced menus, so I switched to that. Thought I saved the selection but for some reason menus don't appear in the next opening of the program. I need to reset and it appears. That's weird only.

An interactive 3D world builder like the old VRML, but with high quality realtime graphics and more compatibility would be awsome I believe.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Sounds like a good first start with 2014! Hope the good vibes last.

Funnily enough, my roots go back to VRML (and before). I do remember the SGI world builder thingy that authored VRML. It was pretty impressive, though highly unstable.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
I moved over from Viz to VFX about half a year ago, so i too am waiting for non-entertainment survey to pop up

After using 3ds Max 2013 for pretty much a year, my perspective finally shifted from pessimistic one to reasonably positive one. I never felt like 3ds Max has limited me in terms of feature set, but i always felt limited by it's performance. Now, there was significant improvement in 2013 when it comes to performance, and there is going to be no less significant one in 2014, so i finally think that things started to move in a right direction.

Also, i remember that when i encountered Ken for the first time in my life, and learned who he is, i didn't really like him and i thought that he's that evil guy who spoils 3ds Max, but after short period of time, i turned my opinion around very quickly.

Even though i just kept bashing 3ds Max and it's product management, he offered me to take a part in it's development, while all i deserved at the time was a forum ban

I will also never forget how Ken helped with support of Corona renderer, and i am very happy he is a head of M&E division.

Thank you very much Ken!

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Thanks for the positive feedback. You have a lot of passion and I believe that we ought to figure out how to harness that passion to improve the product rather than to bash it. In your case, you got into the beta and were very persistent with finding performance issues which challenged the team to fix. You kept reminding us to fix those problems and you kept us honest by retesting and retesting our fixes. The net result: big performance issues were resolved in 2014.

Like I always say, it is a team effort. I'm just a guy that tries to mix the right people together to get results. Sometimes I get lucky - like in your case.

Thread Closed share thread