Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Acolori Medienproduktion GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

3ds max Container Netrender Issues

Hi,

Im currently working on a very heavy scene with tons of geometry plus some character animation...
Pretty much everything that can be proxied is a proxy, but i still came to a point where I needed to organize the scene even more, so I started Xref-ing stuff.
But then Working on the Animations (lights, objects, characters) became a pain in the a**, so i looked into containes.
I know, bad move in the middle of a production, but at that time the deadline had been moved a bit back so I thought i might aswell try it out.

But now, as I started rendering shots in the farm, problems exploded all over me...

First thing: Since working with multiple shots using the same containers, everytime I worked on a shot container already beeing used in the farm, those containers became locked, so I could not close them in my master file.
Workarounds:
A) Delete the .lock file of the container.
B) Suspend the backburner job while editing.

Second Problem:
While rendering via backburner, some renders freeze in the middle or dont render at all on some nodes.

For now I decided to go back and rebuild the scene with Xrefs.
But Id still like to know for future projects, if these are known issues or if im just missing something.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
DanGrover
Know-it-All
portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertmesh
But Id still like to know for future projects, if these are known issues or if im just missing something.

If 3dsMax were a zombie apocalypse, Containers would in the house with the giant "DO NOT ENTER - INFECTED INSIDE!" paint slapped on the side, with iron girders barring the door. XRef Scene is your classic farm barn - dumb but it knows what it's doing. XRef Objects are the shopping centre - robust and clever, but sometimes a bit too clever. VRay Proxies are your underground military bunker - solid, reliable, ugly, but with potentially labyrinthine size if you include animation. That's the Romero guide to referencing external files in 3ds Max.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Acolori Medienproduktion GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

haha, thanks for the insightful analogy...

Pity though, I would have prefered editing things in place anstead of fumbling with Xref-scenes.
But then again - Ive never had a similarily complex project like this one, so there is still room for improvement anyways...

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
raymarcher
PRO
portfolio
Frederik De%2BMaere
Belgium

In military code you could call them in this order:
SNAFU
FUBAR
BOHICA

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread