VRayHairMtl doesn't change color

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2013
VRayHairMtl doesn't change color

Hi folks,

I'm fighting with a very strange problem. I'm doing fur stuff using 3dsMax 2013 Hair and Fur, combined with VRayHairMtl, rendering in VRay 2.3.

I got a head with Hair and Fur on it for the basic fur and some seperate distribution objects for additional hair like eyelashes, whiskers and so on. On every single of them I am using VRayHairMtl as material, exactly like shown here: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200...der_hairfur.htm

The strange thing is, that in some of the cases the fur or the additional hair turns into the very basic color of Hair and Fur or just white, absolutely ignoring any further changes in VRayHairMtl and Material Parameters (rollout in Hair and Fur). I have to delete the Hair and Fur modifier and completely redo it.

I was hoping for a single little bug. But this happended a few times so far and now I have to know what the matter is.
Any idea or experience with this issue?

ps:
- lighting via VrayLight
- turning the whiskers off (hide hair and Fur modifier) causes the additional hair on the nose brigde to change the color from white to desired color

Last edited by melamin : 04 April 2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: additional info

04 April 2013
Everytime I use more than one hair&fur object in my scene with MRprime and the VrayHairMat, I get that problem.

I think it's one of those bugs that have never been fixed. The only way I know how to fix it is to use ornatrix...

04 April 2013
And I thought I was the only one having this issue during my researches on the web, fells good not to be lonely. ;-)

But I have to finish this project soon, no time for switching to Ornatrix ...

04 April 2013
Well, the problem is not really about switching but more about getting your hands on ornatrix. I say that because in Hair&Fur if you generate splines from your guides (in tools) you can use those to generate hair in ornatrix.

I'm not exactly sure but I think if you use other material than the VrayHairMat, you won't get the problem. You can get somewhat close to the vrayhairmat by having 2 layers of specular through a VrayBlendMat.

Good luck!

03 March 2014
vray hair shader

Hi,I had this problem too but I found you must open your scene from file>open not Recent document section.
thanks

08 August 2015
sorry for bad english
i have the worst problem, when i use mr prim every thing not show good
and i change the material but nothing change, in buffer mod hair is white !
http://s6.picofile.com/file/8205892892/Untitled_2.jpg

08 August 2015

hi.your render pic is deleted.can you upload it agian and then tell me what light and render setting you used on the scene? Thanks.

08 August 2015
can i have your email? i am persian too i cant speak english good..

reply share thread