morph target | exploding | moving off to left when dialled ...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
morph target | exploding | moving off to left when dialled ...

Hey guys,

I have a character, rigged with CAT, animated to a considerable point, and now i find I need to tweak the mesh a little with a morph target to better hit the desired look of the concept pose.

So in theory I have the character at the specific pose, I clone the character to a new poly mesh and tweak the mesh as desired pushing a few verts around.

So i assumed that if i plug this mesh/morph target back into the morpher modifier, that I could simply dial this in at the existing point in the animation to help with the appearance of the mesh at that time in the action.

But nope, instead the render mesh moves off a 100 or so units to the left and slightly explodes.

I have the morph modifier directly beneath the skin in the stack of the rigged render mesh.

Is there a recommended way to tweak the mesh at a specific point in the animation; ie if i wanted to lift a pose, sculpt it in zbrush then plug it back into the mesh at the specific point in the animation that i pulled the pose from, then dial that morph back into the render mesh?

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by everlite : 03 March 2013 at 08:02 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Quote: instead the render mesh moves off a 100 or so units to the left

Sounds like a transform issue. Alway resetXform everythning before animating, exporting or morphing.
Quote: ...and slightly explodes.
Not really sure what you mean by this. Care to elaborate?

Old 03 March 2013   #3
If you are clone the mesh of the character in an animated state then this is the wrong way to do.
The skin modifier applies a transform to the verts of an object and the pivot remains the same as the base state, so when you clone the character at an animated point the verts will have transforms on them, this will then be applied to your character through the morph and is the reason you are getting the 100 unit shift.

Clone the original mesh in its un transformed state and alter this version to adjust or for Morphs that can be applied over the skin and used as 'fixer morphs' you can use something like http://www.lumonix.net/morphx2.html
But I'm not sure if its being developed.

There was a neat system that relied on morphx2 to let you 'sculpt' and adjust your character in the viewport but I'm stuffed if I can find it, but have a search around..

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thanks guys,

Yeh, i need to paint/model the morph adjustment from the specific frame/pose, so I can't revert the mesh to its original un transformed state at this point.

What I have is a client that is pretty much taking playblast frames and painting over them asking me to add creases here, bulges there etc, things that would be simple to sculpt in and dial up as a morph if this was possible.

So you think adding a morph modifier on top of the skin will work? I still have a morph underneath the skin that has basic facial shapes etc I'll take a look at the plugin, though seems like its unavailable.

Continued advice very welcome!

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by everlite : 03 March 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
You can still add adjustment morphs for bulges etc under the skin, it's just a little counter intuitive, in that you're adding adjustments to a model in its un skinned state that will affect a skinned model.

This was the workflow in 3ds max for corrective morphs, may help.

http://youtu.be/ugTObiXDpdQ

Edit: think this got developed to gDeform for Max as a script.
Can't check cause I'm at home,
http://somosposmodernos.com/blog/?p=31

Last edited by hotknife : 04 April 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thanks, i'll take a look into the links provided

I noticed that the script has being developed to 2010 http://somosposmodernos.com/blog/?cat=9 and now called gDeform.

Question if i may; I often here people give different advice on where to put the morpher in the stack, some people seem to think it is best beneath the skin, others believe it should be on top. I never quite know which is best. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Dave

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Hey, Dave, thanks for the heads up!

About Morpher, it turns up that the way it works in 3DSMAX is, let's say, 'absolute'. So if you have it above the Skin, you will notice that Skin kind of stops working, because the mesh obeys to those absolute deformations that Morpher is setting. With MorphX2 (it's still available, but you have to pay for it now; I'm not sure if Kees ported it to MAX 2013) the thing changes, because it adds those morph targets to the Skin deformations beneath, so it's an additive deformation.

That said, there's still a way to sculpt your mesh in your pose and get it to work. What you need to do is to throw some math into the mix to get a shape that you can release under the Skin modifier. There's more information here:

http://circecharacterworks.wordpres...6/presentation/

A couple of days ago I saw a post on a blog that talked precisely about this subject. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, and run some tests to talk a bit more accurately

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Not to long ago Pierre Gonzales ask me about corrective shape extraction for 3dsmax( by the way Iker thanks for the link to my blog ):

I have give it a try and Pierre clean up my mess... you can play with the following script and sample scene :( its a zip file so remove the .pdf extension and extract it )

Old 04 April 2013   #9
http://ldunham.blogspot.com/2012/02...lendshapes.html

This is the blog I was talking about. Glad to see Cedric sharing stuff there too!

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread