Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
ShawnMGS
portfolio
Shawn Sagady
MiND+GAMES(STUDIO)
New York, USA

Image or Light Keystone

Greetings,

I work as a projection designer for a living, and dabble in many things including Max. I quite frequently use Max to do pre-viz on projects to see how projections may look on a set, but 9/10 times I just render the set then hack it together in Photoshop.

I have been trying to come up with a way to use ability to turn the spotlight into a projector to rough in actual positions/lensing of where the projectors would be in real life and then do renderings with those for more realistic pre-viz. The problem I have encountered though is I can not find a way to either keystone the light its self (spotlight set to rectangle with projector map enabled) or which I think would be the better solution, have the ability to corner pin/keystone the material I am using for the projector map.

Of course I can pre-keystone everything in photoshop/after effects, but at that point im right back to where i started. My goal is to speed up my workflow and actually get a sense of how everything will fit together within max, without having to fake it in PS/AE and hope it all works in the end.

If anyone knows a trick in max that would allow me to do this, or a plugin, or custom shader or what ever it would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end searching for the answer.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
raffo
Veteran

portfolio
. .
Berlin, Germany

If i understand you right, Camera Mapping with the Vray-Physical-Camera should do it.
You can keystone using the vertical & horizontal shift. See Attachment. In the example i am projecting a texture with horizontal shift at a plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VrayCameraMapping_with_Shift.jpg (76.9 KB, 14 views)

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
ShawnMGS
portfolio
Shawn Sagady
MiND+GAMES(STUDIO)
New York, USA

The problem with that is its based in the cameras space. My goal is to actually project light, much like a real video/film projector would. So it wouldn't be a camera effect but actual light source like you get using a spotlight with the projector map.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
raffo
Veteran

portfolio
. .
Berlin, Germany

actually, using the technique I suggested can project light on a surface and its possible to keystone the image with the vertical and horizontal offset and shift.

this works very simmilar to a spotlight with a projector map.

in this example,the camera projects a keystoned map on a wall. the material of the wall has a "camera map per pixel"-map in the self-illumination slot with a simple 6x9-tiles-map-texture.
the small box in the upper corner (where the camera is) visualizes the projector.

Isn't this what you're after?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VrayCameraMapping_with_Shift_02.jpg (93.9 KB, 11 views)

Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
ShawnMGS
portfolio
Shawn Sagady
MiND+GAMES(STUDIO)
New York, USA

If that is the case it may work. I misunderstood how the camera mapping worked. Will objects in the path of the camera cast a shadow? Are you able to control the fov of the camera to simulate the lens ratios?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
raffo
Veteran

portfolio
. .
Berlin, Germany

i think the objects in the path won´t cast a shadow. at least they did not in my simple test, but there maybe more advanced methods which can do that. my camera projection knowledge is rather limited.
the fov of the camera to simulate the lens ratios works.

i see you would rather use the spotlight with the projector map and there may be a way to keystone the projection with a spotlight. you can use the skew modifier on a spotlight to do a vertical and horizontal shift.
if you want to try it, you may need to use 2 skew modifiers (one for horizontal and one for the vertical adjustment). to get the desired result, the adjustment of the gizmo of the skew-modifier may be important (especially the rotation of the gizmo).

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread