Model not seen on render.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Model not seen on render.

Hello all,

I am having problems to make a model appear on the render. I tried flipping the normals, still it doesn't show up the way I want it. The model shown on the picture has a lot of parts and none of them are visible on the render. The image shows exactly the camera setup which is very constrained here as I am using a 2D image in the background. I remember the model used to be visible before.

And here is the render.

03 March 2013
Make sure the material of model corresponds to your render assign

03 March 2013
Also, you're in the front view, which may be a problem.

03 March 2013
Thanks Klimuk & dathviper.

Klimuk: I don't have any materials assigned to any of the parts of the model.

darthViper: I could see the model in the render in the front view a few days back. It something happened just recently.

03 March 2013
Check your object properties ( or layer properties )
there are specific properties called "Renderable" and "Visible to Camera" and similar, which are only respected in the rendering - not in the viewport
And of course be sure to really render out the correct viewport, which has the model visible

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

03 March 2013
Thanks Spacefrog,
I will have a look at it. Is there any problems with rendering in the front viewport? I am constrained to be on this view because I have a 2D image on the scene which acts as a background and I also have some buildings already created and aligned to the buildings on the 2D image.

03 March 2013
Using a viewport in that manner seems a bit odd because what happens if you zoom/pan etc?

Normally you create a camera that is aligned to a particular viewport (the view from the static camera always being the same). 3dsmax's viewports are all orthographic apart from the perspective-view. So in an orthographic view your geometry will always be the same size no matter how far/near it is. I would have thought you needed perspective what with a space ship that will presumably be moving relative to the camera/viewport.

03 March 2013
Thanks Sidow for the nice brief explanation.

How about putting the image as the viewport background and then aligning the buildings to it. Just asking, have to try it out, I am not in front of the computer.

03 March 2013
Here is the render of the scene where the image is setup as a viewport background. Now I am wondering how to align my buildings onto the buildings on the image. During the aligning process if I pan or move around in this setup then the alignment is lost. I feel this way it is very tedious. Is this the only way to do this thing or is there any workaround?

Please advise.

03 March 2013
What is the space ship going to do? Fly across all of those buildings? Is the camera going to move, or is it static?

03 March 2013
Space ship will move in to the city and will come to a halt, then the fighters will come down from the ship and then the attacking starts, kind of what you have seen in the movie Independence day. Pflow in combination with FumeFX that's the way I am planning to work it out. Just trying to master Pflow and FumeFX through this project.

04 April 2013
Hi all,

Is there any workaround for this? Please advise me on how to align the buildings when the image is setup as a viewport background.

04 April 2013
Nobody here who has an answer on this. New to using 2D images on projects. Please advise.

04 April 2013
You'll want to make your camera (Ctrl + C makes a camera in whatever position you have currently, whilst in perspective mode), align the buildings, and then stop moving the camera. If you need to move around the scene, hit 'P' to go into Perspective view (which, if you're currently looking through a camera, will be identical to that camera angle). You can move around here all you like. Then, when you want to go back to make a render, hit 'C' and you'll go straight back to your camera (or, if you have multiple cameras in the scene, get a list of them to choose which one to go to).

04 April 2013
Thanks DanGrover.

This was the method I was going on with since beginning. But for some reason I was thinking more on this method,on how it would affect later on during the progress of this project. But now it seems like all the confusions are clear.

Thanks again.

Thread Closed share thread