CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk 3ds max
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
olivierth
Looking for work

portfolio
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada

Hair&Fur - Recomb from splines

Hi,

I'm creating a hairstyle with splines and I'm having a problem with the use of "Recomb from Splines"

The source for the hair is a mesh composed of individual polygons with space between each. The idea with the space was to make sure the splines coming out of one poly don't affect the neighbor polys. It's not working. The result is the equivalent of having all the polygons welded.

How to fix this? Do I absolutely have to separate polys further apart?

See the image:

Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
moulder6
Expert

portfolio
Peter Blackearth
3D Generalist
Sofia, Bulgaria

One thing you can try is select the guides per polygon and split them to a separate group (Split is inside the combing/styling rollout).
If it doesn't give you the result you're after you may add hair&fur modifier per face (or per bunch of faces) and comb each with the same splines.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
olivierth
Looking for work

portfolio
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada

Thanks for the reply moulder6.

I actually tried that and it doesn't work because the problem is with the "recomb from splines". Some hairs on the left patches are going to the right meaning it's getting combed by the wrong splines yet every single spline starts perfectly from the vertices of the patches.

I'm really starting to think the only way is to have a bigger separation between each polys because there's no "threshold" settings I can tweak.

edit: Also, having one hair modifier per patch would give me too much settings to work with. I'd never finish.

Last edited by olivierth : 03-26-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
moulder6
Expert

portfolio
Peter Blackearth
3D Generalist
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierth
edit: Also, having one hair modifier per patch would give me too much
settings to work with. I'd never finish.

Well, u can basically do it with two, instead of one modifier. This, of course deppending on the complexity of the style you're after. But you can copy/paste the modifier, once you're happy with the setup.

Other thing that may cause those problems is the order and the direction of the splines themselves.

Unfortunately there's too little control to how guides are generated.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
olivierth
Looking for work

portfolio
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada

Unfortunately, having only 2 groups (left patches and right patches) would not be enough. Each left patches would still affect one another so the tips would be impossible to separate. If I would separate every single patches, it would be more than just copying the modifier, it would be doing a "recomb from splines" on each one, everytime I would want to see the effect.

I did a test with 2 patches in the same mesh to see how far I needed to separate them and the problem is worse than I thought. It's very frustrating because I've used this method on another project a few months ago and never got this problem. Maybe it's bug in a service pack I installed...

Also, my scene is at the right scale.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread